Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-05-31 00:48:21

rizalmartin

Suggestion: Add date and time settings on xfce

Is it possible to include this feature to xfce for configuring date and time? Xfce can do almost all hardware settings. Only configuring date and time was missing

#2 2021-05-31 04:11:35

CwF

Re: Suggestion: Add date and time settings on xfce

It would be a nice touch, but...
I thought about it and realize I've never needed to do it! so what's the point? We can change it in a terminal. Really, the computer itself (bios) should be set correctly to UTC and then the OS only needs to know the timezone. So, it gets set once. There are daemons to check time and correct, and laptops have geolocation ways to change zones, etc.

#3 2021-06-01 23:55:03

rizalmartin

CwF wrote:

It would be a nice touch, but...
I thought about it and realize I've never needed to do it! so what's the point? We can change it in a terminal. Really, the computer itself (bios) should be set correctly to UTC and then the OS only needs to know the timezone. So, it gets set once. There are daemons to check time and correct, and laptops have geolocation ways to change zones, etc.

Change via Terminal is not advisable for newbies. It simply scares them away. The goal here was user-friendliness. A GUI frontend to set the BIOS date and time. Also not all computer are always connected to the internet.

#4 2021-06-02 00:44:58

ToZ
Administrator

If you install the "gnome-system-tools" package and edit the "/usr/share/applications/time.desktop" file and append:

X-XFCE-SettingsDialog;X-XFCE-SystemSettings;

...to the end of the "Categories=" line, you will get a Time and Date applet in the Settings Manager that will you to select timezone and change time.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer