Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-07-13 08:17:13

tiger19tony72

Panel is in Kiosk Mode on Raspberry Pi

Hi,

I am a new Linux user running a Raspberry Pi with the latest Raspberry Pi OS (dated May 7th, 2021, Kernal version 5.10). I installed Xfce 4.12 with sudo apt install task-xfce-desktop. Every time I start the Raspberry Pi and Xfce starts up I get the warning message my panel is locked because it is in Kiosk Mode. So I never set up any kind of mode. This was a fresh Xfce install on a fresh install of Raspberry Pi OS. I wanted to try a different desktop. So I web searched on how to fix it and found this forum post "https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=8801".

The problem with that post is it does not help with my situation. I tried to follow along with the instructions but I do not have those files. There is no ~/.config/xfce4 or ~/.cache/session files or folders anywhere in the Raspberry Pi file system. I do understand that ~/ is my home directory which on a Pi is /home/pi. So I searched all the directories from root "/" but there are no folders marked as ".cache" or ".config". I made sure I explored all the directories and double-checked etc, opt, usr, and var with no luck.

I did find "/etc/xdg/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-panel.xml" but that did not help. I have been able to configure the panel (moved to the bottom of the screen and removed the app dock) and that seems to work correctly.

After a reboot I also get the message that "no running instance of xfce4-panel was found". I click execute, but for every reboot, I have to do the same thing (several times I have to click execute as many windows pop up along with the kiosk message). Shouldn't the panel start automatically?

So my questions are:
1. On a fresh install of Raspberry Pi OS and fresh install of Xfce, where would those folders and files be located?
2. Does it really matter if I am in Kiosk mode or not?
3. I did check mark the box for save session so my current panel will be the same on reboot, is that all I really need?
4. What is Kiosk mode, why is there even a kiosk mode, and since I can make changes why do I get the message saying I cannot make changes?
5. How to get the panel to start when Xfce starts (meaning when the desktop comes up the panel should also be displayed)?

Thanks for any information anyone can provide.

Last edited by tiger19tony72 (2021-07-13 08:22:44)

#2 2021-07-13 12:16:01

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Panel is in Kiosk Mode on Raspberry Pi

Hello and welcome.

The folders should be there - they would be hidden folders (prefixed by a .) and you would need to enable the display of hidden folders to see them. In thunar, pressing Ctrl+h would display them.

Can you post back the results of:

ls -a $HOME

...and just in case:

ls -a /home/pi

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer