Xfce Forum

Sub domains
 

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-07-19 22:16:47

Vinifera
Member
Registered: 2021-07-19
Posts: 7

got 2 questions

first off as winblows user, i must say that of all current available desk environments for Linux
Xfce is my favorite and will probably stay so when i totaly switch to Linux

but got 2 questions which are also a warm recommendations

1. will Xfce ever support minimized windows thumbnail preview windows like KDE and windows 7 have ?
(i am aware of DockbarX)

2. have you ever considered to make Xfce less Gnome-ish in UI, where it still screams "i'm Gnome" ?

i'd love to see Xfce to kinda branch off from Gnomeish look and be "itself"/its own, consistant in all areas, be "normal"

thanks for your time smile

Last edited by Vinifera (2021-07-19 22:19:17)

Offline

#2 2021-07-19 22:57:40

ToZ
Moderator
From: Canada
Registered: 2011-06-02
Posts: 7,844

Re: got 2 questions

Vinifera wrote:

1. will Xfce ever support minimized windows thumbnail preview windows like KDE and windows 7 have ?
(i am aware of DockbarX)

There aren't any current plans that I am aware of. I think we would need someone to look to provide a patch for the functionality, but as you said, if DockbarX exists, is there really a pressing need?

2. have you ever considered to make Xfce less Gnome-ish in UI, where it still screams "i'm Gnome" ?

sigh. The recent CSD changes have led to this. Its a double-edged sword. On one hand, it aligns with upstream GTK that Xfce is dependent on. On the other hand, it introduces alot of visual and operational inconsistencies. Have a look at gtk3-nocsd (removes all CSDs) or libxfce4ui-nocsd, a replacement libxfce4ui library that removes the recent Xfce CSD enhancements. Either will return the system back to its SSD roots.

Offline

#3 2021-07-19 23:18:11

Vinifera
Member
Registered: 2021-07-19
Posts: 7

Re: got 2 questions

ToZ wrote:

There aren't any current plans that I am aware of. I think we would need someone to look to provide a patch for the functionality, but as you said, if DockbarX exists, is there really a pressing need?

well its not urgent need, but down the line in next 5-7 years it would be nice to be integrated
also unlike kde/win7 dockbarx does not make active window appear when you hover over a "live" thumbnail

ToZ wrote:

The recent CSD changes have led to this. Its a double-edged sword. On one hand, it aligns with upstream GTK that Xfce is dependent on. On the other hand, it introduces alot of visual and operational inconsistencies. Have a look at gtk3-nocsd (removes all CSDs) or libxfce4ui-nocsd, a replacement libxfce4ui library that removes the recent Xfce CSD enhancements. Either will return the system back to its SSD roots.

well i'm not in any way expert in programming or any coding
but can't anything, especially in open sourced, be changed in almost every aspect ? (UI-wise)

Offline

#4 2021-07-19 23:30:05

ToZ
Moderator
From: Canada
Registered: 2011-06-02
Posts: 7,844

Re: got 2 questions

Vinifera wrote:

but can't anything, especially in open sourced, be changed in almost every aspect ? (UI-wise)

Yes. But the main Xfce developers are pro-CSD so it looks like we are moving in this direction for now.

Offline

#5 2021-07-20 11:33:30

Vinifera
Member
Registered: 2021-07-19
Posts: 7

Re: got 2 questions

ah balls hmm

i'd say NOW is time to strike !
gnome sucks so much

Last edited by Vinifera (2021-07-20 11:34:02)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB