Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-07-28 16:02:35

CwF

Somthing in between xfce4-notifyd and notify-send

I've been familiarizing myself with org.freedesktop.Notifications implementations. I deduced xfce-notifyd was required and functions as the notification server. (?)

I'm assembling functionality from genmon or launchers in various ways mostly polling hardware, but simply exploring use case. For debian I'm using notify-send from libnotify-bin and this works fine. This method does not offer buttons and positional hints are ignored - since I gather this is the simplist client.

So, is there any mid-level xfce4 focused utility client I've missed?
I'd guess notify-send should be the common focus, and serves basic scriptability,  if so then secondarily;
    Is there any configuration for xfce-notifyd past the gui's options? Anywhere we could configure 'categories' to allow hints and make them available in a script?

#2 2021-07-28 20:03:12

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Somthing in between xfce4-notifyd and notify-send

CwF wrote:

I've been familiarizing myself with org.freedesktop.Notifications implementations. I deduced xfce-notifyd was required and functions as the notification server. (?)

Correct.

I'm assembling functionality from genmon or launchers in various ways mostly polling hardware, but simply exploring use case. For debian I'm using notify-send from libnotify-bin and this works fine. This method does not offer buttons and positional hints are ignored - since I gather this is the simplist client.

So, is there any mid-level xfce4 focused utility client I've missed?
I'd guess notify-send should be the common focus, and serves basic scriptability,  if so then secondarily;
    Is there any configuration for xfce-notifyd past the gui's options? Anywhere we could configure 'categories' to allow hints and make them available in a script?

Have a look at notify-send.sh - it supports those additional functions.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2021-07-28 20:20:56

CwF

Re: Somthing in between xfce4-notifyd and notify-send

Excellent, thanks!

Well, same. It is a worthy replacement but works the same. I'm thinking final position is on the server side, they are called 'hints' after all

$ notify-send.sh -h int:x:500 -h int:y:500 "hello"

is the same as

$ notify-send "hello"

So far the position is not important, just testing.
Continue...

Last edited by CwF (2021-07-28 21:57:03)

Board footer