Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-07-29 11:20:43

Dini

Trashing then restoring file removes the emblem(s) it had.

Hi I just found this issue, it's a bit scary because hitting delete can be easy to do at times.

(doesn't seem to be a problem when I delete a folder containing emblemed files, though, which is good)

#2 2021-07-29 11:31:56

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Trashing then restoring file removes the emblem(s) it had.

Might be worth creating a bug report for it here.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2021-07-29 12:06:38

Dini

Okay, glad it's not just me. smile

#4 2021-08-02 16:37:55

Dini

UPDATE - Just a quick heads up, I reported the above here. Thanks. https://gitlab.xfce.org/xfce/thunar/-/issues/618

FOLLOW UP QUESTION - Does Thunar have a pre-delete "hook"? Or can I take over the delete command? For the meantime, I think the best way to deal with the above is when a file to be deleted has an emblem I'd just like to make a popup to warn and ask the user if they really want to trash it.

#5 2021-08-02 18:31:10

ToZ
Administrator

Dini wrote:

FOLLOW UP QUESTION - Does Thunar have a pre-delete "hook"? Or can I take over the delete command? For the meantime, I think the best way to deal with the above is when a file to be deleted has an emblem I'd just like to make a popup to warn and ask the user if they really want to trash it.

No, but you could create a custom action to delete files for which you could script whatever you need.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#6 2021-08-02 19:58:00

Dini

Thanks but I'd need to be able to intercept the standard trashing otherwise my system is not safe.

Maybe I can take over the DEL key in some way at:
~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml

If Thunar calls "gio trash" maybe I can intercept that, or try to build an alias of "gio trash"???

All ? mysteries ? to be continued because I'm sleepy.

RHETORICAL - How did I get to this point in my life where I spend 90% of my life trying to reverse problems in Gnome stuff?

Board footer