Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-09-04 04:22:53

Beerforfree

App Launcher

After upgrading form Buster to Bullseye I lost the app luncher on the panel, I've to right click on the desktop go down to Application so as to see the whole menu
How do I recover it on my panel or how do I make a launcher
Thks

#2 2021-09-04 05:15:45

GWBenson

Re: App Launcher

Hi Beerforfree,

What you're looking for is xfce4-appfinder. It's in the Debian repository. You probably have to (re)install it.

#3 2021-09-04 14:23:32

mint4all

GWBenson wrote:

Hi Beerforfree,
What you're looking for is xfce4-appfinder. It's in the Debian repository. You probably have to (re)install it.

Greetings!

There might be an easier way .... If your panel has the "whisker"-menu plugin, try that menu's search box first by typing 'Applic' (omit the single quotes). "whisker" will then list any matching/installed apps, and by right-clicking on an installed app's icon, you'll get a context menu that let's you chose the "+ Add to panel" option. whisker will then add the appropriate launch button to the end of the panel. If you have several panels, it'll even ask you to which panel to add the button. This has worked for me countless times (i often forget where I installed an app, or can't find the category where a dev placed it to begin with), Worth a try.

Cheers, m4a

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#4 2021-09-04 20:24:48

Beerforfree

It's not the app finder, it's the menu icon/launcher which is missing in my panel. I've no clue how to recover it

#5 2021-09-05 00:35:24

mint4all

Beerforfree wrote:

It's not the app finder, it's the menu icon/launcher which is missing in my panel. I've no clue how to recover it

No problem ...

Just place your mouse pointer anywhere on the panel (empty/background preferred)
--> right click
--> popup menu appears
--> position (no click) mouse pointer over the "Panel >" option
--> left click the "+ Add New Items ..." option
--> Add New Item popup appears
--> left click "Applications Menu" (or start typing in the search box) thus selecting it as a (new) panel item
--> menu's launch button button will appear at the end of your panel, popup closes
--> right click that new menu button
--> left click the {button-}move option
--> a red bar appears which indictes the current location of the button
--> and along with it apears a "hand pointer" that indicates you're doing a button "move"
--> position that "hand pointer" where you want to place your new menu button (the red bar follows along)
--> left click whenever you reach the desired location for the botton (indicated by the red bar)
Note: if you get confused somewhere in between, just press "esc" and nothing will happen.

That ought to do it. Cheers, m4a

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#6 2021-09-05 12:28:34

Beerforfree

If an empty launcher is created first, the App Menu can't be find when trying to add an action, that's what happened to me
It's getting better now, but when trying to move it to the panel I get the following error
Plugin "App Menu" unexpectedly left the panel, do you want to restart it?
Execute / Remove

Choosing execute gets into an endless loop

#7 2021-09-05 14:22:15

mint4all

Beerforfree wrote:

If an empty launcher is created first, the App Menu can't be find when trying to add an action, that's what happened to me
It's getting better now, but when trying to move it to the panel I get the following error
Plugin "App Menu" unexpectedly left the panel, do you want to restart it?
Execute / Remove

Choosing execute gets into an endless loop

As far as I know, Xfce's "Application Menu" is special -- it cannot be added to any other launcher/button as an app (or command). This is because it does a bunch of other things in the background which ordinary launchers don't do. The only way to add it to the panel is by following the above steps. Did you follow the steps I had outlined, above? If you did so, but it still crashes, then we're looking at a messed up system upgrade and have to re-install the broken pieces...

Cheers, m4a

#8 2021-09-06 00:49:16

Beerforfree

The plugin must be running sice I can access it form a context menu, but I can't set a shortcut on the panel
Well will see if can find something

thks anyway for your help

Board footer