Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-09-07 16:56:14

dtd

launcher not executable [solved]

I frequently have windows from several servers on a desktop at a time. To minimize executing a command on the wrong server I have launchers that assign a unique color to each server. In adding the 3rd icon in a new group the third one is not recognized as executable and can not be made to do so. The launcher code is:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=boothbay
Comment=
Exec=xterm -bg Aqua -e ssh boothbay.foobar.com
Icon=preferences-desktop-remote-desktop
Path=
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=false

My last attempt was to create a duplicate launcher for firefox. This worked perfectly. changing the "Exec" from "firefox %U" to the above makes the launcher give the "not executable" error. I have 7 launchers working fine using different icons. 2 additional launchers work fine as shown. Is there something I am missing? Or a bug?

for grins;  ls -l Desktop/boothbay.desktop
                -rwxr-xr-x  1 doug  doug  198 Sep  6 18:09 Desktop/boothbay.desktop*

Last edited by dtd (2021-09-10 16:28:38)

#2 2021-09-07 23:48:43

ToZ
Administrator

Re: launcher not executable [solved]

Strange problem. What happens when you run:

xterm -bg Aqua -e ssh boothbay.foobar.com

...in a terminal window. Does it work?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2021-09-08 20:45:11

dtd

Yes the command works. This was a FreeBSD issue. I needed to install thunderbird which in the past has been a problem. Many, Many dynamic libs in common with xfce and firefox. Installing thunderbird broke firefox which I was willing to ignore but it also broke geany, my python editor of choice. According to the firefox maintainers the only way to fix it is to upgrade all packages. This has never worked for me in the past but I was willing to try it as I pretty much need the editor. Upgrading all packages (224 of some 600) fixed all bugs including the launcher bug. After the install and reboot that issue also disappeared. I would mark this solved if I knew how smile

Last edited by dtd (2021-09-08 20:46:08)

#4 2021-09-08 22:23:02

ToZ
Administrator

Good to hear.

dtd wrote:

I would mark this solved if I knew how smile

Edit your original post and prepend "[SOLVED]" to the subject line.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer