Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-09-09 01:52:39

brec

How to use Gnome's Screen Sharing settings without Gnome?

I've been running Xbuntu/xfce for several weeks, and occasionally screen sharing, via vino/VNC to a Mac. I'm about to replace the Xbuntu hardware, and I plan to start over with a new installation of Xbuntu to get rid of the various unnecessary cruft that I've added in experimenting with this and that. E.g., I started with the Ubuntu 20.04 ISO and Gnome before installing xfce.

Maybe it was something fluky I did, but it seemed that the only way to get vino screen sharing working was to log in to Gnome and use its Screen Sharing setting window, via Gnome's Settings::Sharing::Screen Sharing. If I started in Xubuntu with the dconf editor's org/gnome/desktop/remote-access/vnc-password, I couldn't get the Mac to connect. Only after I logged in to Ubuntu/Gnome and set my password in its aforementioned dialog window would the Mac connect. (And then when I looked again at the /vnc-password in Xubuntu, the password field had garbage in it. If I changed it back to what I wanted, I couldn't connect, and when I again logged into Gnome and brought up its Screen Sharing dialog, the password field was blank.)

Sorry about the long intro: based on that experience, I'd like to know what, if anything, I can do to use Gnome's Screen Sharing settings after installing with the Xubuntu ISO and without installing all of Gnome.

#2 2021-09-09 11:37:27

ToZ
Administrator

Re: How to use Gnome's Screen Sharing settings without Gnome?

Hello and welcome.

It looks like the question you are trying to get answered is "how do I configure gnome screen sharing without gnome"? Here are a couple of links that talk about how this can be done. The first one looks like it has all the steps except the password setting, but this second one shows a command that apparently works to set the password.

I haven't tried this myself, but hopefully it works for you.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2021-09-09 12:08:15

brec

Re: How to use Gnome's Screen Sharing settings without Gnome?

Thanks! The second one is a superset of the first one. I noticed a clue in the second one that I think is the key to my solution. Although it's indicated on the deconf editor vnc password dialog that I mentioned in my OP, I had overlooked that the password entered there must be base64-encrypted. So the "garbage" that I was seeing after entering my password in the Gnome Screen Sharing setting was the base64 version of what I had entered. When I changed it to my plaintext password, I broke VNC/vino access from my Mac.

Board footer