Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-09-18 06:16:19

adch99

Directions for Contributing as a Tester

Hello!
I am a person who has been using various DEs on Linux for several years now. I want to begin giving back by becoming a tester for XFCE apps. But I am a bit confused about how it is done.
I have a stable Xubuntu 20.04 system which is my daily driver and I'd not like to interfere with that. The only way to test bugs that I see on the XFCE page is to clone the repo from GitLab, compile and test the code out directly. But I am not quite comfortable doing this for 2 reasons:

1. The app is debugged in isolation. So integrations and environment variables are a mess.

2. The app could, in theory, change my daily driver's settings which would be a headache.

I know KDE uses Docker images for their testing. Is there anything like that for XFCE? (I don't know much about Docker either but I am willing to learn.)
Maybe this is a naive outlook, but my view of testing a desktop environment is to be able to boot it up on a weekend, perform a list of standard tasks that a normal user would want to do and then report bugs that come up. In any case, could someone clarify my confusion?

#2 2021-09-18 14:20:46

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Directions for Contributing as a Tester

Hello and welcome.

Yes. Xfce also has a docker test container that you can use. The other option is to run all development/testing in a VM so that it doesn't interfere with your main install.

More info on contributing via the "Contribute" link in my signature.

Last edited by ToZ (2021-09-18 14:35:18)

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2021-09-20 04:47:04

adch99

Re: Directions for Contributing as a Tester

That looks like it is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Board footer