Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-09-21 22:59:06

Skaperen

i need a list of files for a new user

i am setting up a new user (new username, new userid) under my Xubuntu 18.04.5 system with Xfce 4.12 that i want to make Xfce be configured completely and exactly the same for the new user.  that plan this time is to just copy the minimally necessary files (and change owner).  i hope none of these files have or need to have the username or userid inside.  but if so and if they are text instead of binary, i could probably change that with sed or something like it.  does anyone have such a list or can suggest how i could get one or construct one?

ideally, all configurations for every setting under every component, plugin, module, or program, should be in a single file.  while the respective users do not have any parts of Xfce running this file can be copied and ownership changed.  then the user getting this file can log in and see everything be exactly the same as the other user, except for username and userid, of course.  but, at least at this old version, it's not this way.

even better would be a tool for exporting a setup and importing one (while logged in, though a re-login would likely be needed by the importing user to see the changes take full effect.

#2 2021-09-21 23:38:50

CwF

Re: i need a list of files for a new user

Skaperen wrote:

i am setting up a new user .

place as much as is useful in /etc/skel copied from the desired user config. The permissions will be automatic when you create a new user using this 'skel'. Not perfect, maybe not complete...

Board footer