Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-10-02 02:58:57

callmejoe

changed mime types

over the last 1 or 2 weeks I've noticed that a lot of the files i had set to open with a text editor have been changed to open with firefox. 

text files, .conf files, .json files, bash scripts, etc. 

am i crazy?  could a firefox update (or something else) have hijacked the defaults?  anyone else notice this?  right now i am just changing them back as i come across them, but would love to know if this is something I might have done to myself or not.

any insights?  thanks

#2 2021-10-02 05:38:05

Tamaranch

Re: changed mime types

If your text editor is Mousepad and you have recently upgraded to version 0.5.7, the problem may come from there.
The launcher name has changed from mousepad.desktop to org.xfce.mousepad.desktop, so the system can't find it.

To fix this, just run this command:

sed -Ei.bak 's/([=;])(mousepad.desktop)/\1org.xfce.\2/' ~/.config/mimeapps.list

The original mime type file will be kept as ~/.config/mimeapps.list.bak after running this command.

EDIT: I have added a note about this in the documentation: https://docs.xfce.org/apps/mousepad/sta … on_changes

Last edited by Tamaranch (2021-10-02 06:31:40)

#3 2021-10-02 14:29:44

callmejoe

Re: changed mime types

Tamaranch wrote:

If your text editor is Mousepad and you have recently upgraded to version 0.5.7, the problem may come from there.
The launcher name has changed from mousepad.desktop to org.xfce.mousepad.desktop, so the system can't find it.

To fix this, just run this command:

sed -Ei.bak 's/([=;])(mousepad.desktop)/\1org.xfce.\2/' ~/.config/mimeapps.list

The original mime type file will be kept as ~/.config/mimeapps.list.bak after running this command.

EDIT: I have added a note about this in the documentation: https://docs.xfce.org/apps/mousepad/sta … on_changes

yes it was mousepad.  thanks for this fix. worked nicely.

Board footer