Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-10-06 15:29:16

Tio

Won't delete the .desktop files after removing the apps

If I edit the Whisker menu via Menulibre, and rename or reorganize some apps, then it basically creates a new .desktop file for these apps in the .local/share/applications. Now if I delete some of these apps via the package manager, I still see the apps in the Whisker menu and appfinder. This can create a lot of mess. Isn't there a way to remove these .desktop files when you remove the application that's attached to them? How can this be solved? Thanks!

Last edited by Tio (2021-10-06 15:34:01)

#2 2021-10-06 17:47:54

CwF

Re: Won't delete the .desktop files after removing the apps

Can't happen, unless you'd like a windows style system cleaner since you can't do it yourself. The package manager, the package or whatever it is knows what is dome by the install action. Why should it track your mods. The install is obligated to how many things, just what it does. Short cuts and extra menu I make in windows are not deleted with the application...

There are programs that try to deal with cruft, cruft being one I don't know much about.

I find the point a little humorous, since user mods are the most likely cause for a support question in general.

#3 2021-10-09 12:35:07

Tio

Re: Won't delete the .desktop files after removing the apps

Ok. I was thinking maybe it can detect these files since they are named the same, and when uninstalling/removing one, will search in that local folder and delete the .desktop form there too.

Board footer