Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-10-09 22:40:44

john.smith.tmithc

Remove Second Battery from xfce4-power-settings-manager

Hi everybody,

I recently had to change my laptop's battery and I noticed that the power level never reached more that 50% - I have then noticed that in xfce4-power-manager-settings, the old battery was still in the devices tab (called battery_BAT0, always charged 0%), as well as the new battery battery_BAT1. Thus, I guess that the energy level reported is kind of an average of the levels of the two batteries... As this is really annoying, is there a way in order to remove the old battery from the list? I could not find any feature for "battery deletion" in the xfce4-power-manager-settings.

xfce.png

Thanks,

TMITHC

#2 2021-10-10 00:45:10

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Remove Second Battery from xfce4-power-settings-manager

Does upower pick up 2 battery devices?

upower -e

Also, can you let us know which version of Xfce and which version of xfce4-power-manager you are running?

Welcome to the forum, btw.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2021-10-10 10:05:53

john.smith.tmithc

Hi ToZ,

thanks a lot for you reply! I am running Xfce 4.16 and xfce4-power-manager 4.16.0-3, but now I do not think that the problem is related to xfce... As you pointed out, upower is showing two batteries:

/org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/line_power_AC
/org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT0
/org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT1
/org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/DisplayDevice

And I guess that xfce4-power-manager relies on UPower in order to figure out which batteries are in the system... Do you know any way to fix this, although not really an xfce question anymore?

Thanks!

#4 2021-10-10 13:10:23

ToZ
Administrator

Yes, the power manager uses upower to get the list of devices. I am not aware of a way that xfce4-power-manager can fix this, I believe you need to fix the issue at source. Whats odd, is that somehow your system is recognizing (caching?) the old battery. Or maybe its not properly recognizing the new battery.

I did a quick online search and couldn't find anything online about blacklisting upower devices. Does your bios maybe have something around battery configuration?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer