Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-11-01 19:43:09

GodGMN

First time using XFCE, having trouble changing menu icon/text colors

Hello, I have been trying to change the color of the menu icons to black since I want it to be sky blue and white is a bit hard to read.

However I have been struggling with it, I have only been able to change the clock color (using the CSS) but not any of the other icons.

What can I do to change them? This is how it looks right now:

2K0zPG3.png

And this is roughly how I want it to look (I used the paint bucket yes lmao)

XflIKhG.png

What can I do? Thanks for the attention.

#2 2021-11-01 20:31:18

ToZ
Administrator

Re: First time using XFCE, having trouble changing menu icon/text colors

Which distro and version of Xfce are you running?
Also, which icon theme?

Welcome to the forums.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2021-11-01 22:45:37

GodGMN

Hello, thanks for the welcome and thanks for asking.

My distro is MX Linux, I just installed it on a brand new laptop, and I'm running Xfce 4.16.

#4 2021-11-01 23:25:12

ToZ
Administrator

Which icon theme is that? Some icon themes have light and dark versions and maybe all you need to do is select the appropriate one.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2021-11-01 23:29:18

GodGMN

It's papirus-mxbluedark, I have tried all of the icon themes preinstalled but none of them features dark icons, there are a couple that do change the bluetooth and wi-fi icons to black icons, however all of the remaining are still white.

I have no clue about what am I doing but how hard would it be to simply copy one of those icon themes but change the colors to black? Just for personal usage of course.

#6 2021-11-02 00:41:30

ToZ
Administrator

Ok, lets try this. In the file ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css (create the file if it doesn't exist, and add the following:

.xfce4-panel widget image { color: black; }

...and restart xfce4-panel:

xfce4-panel -r

Lets see how many it gets.

I'm unfamiliar with some of those icons. If they are in the systray, there is no easy way to change those icons (as they are not exposed to the panel) so the only way to change those is to replace the actual icon.

Can you identify what programs the other icons are for?

Edit: for the mx-usb-unmounter tray icon, you need to change the /usr/share/pixmaps/usb-unmounter.svg file. It's what is being used. You can re-color it to black.

Last edited by ToZ (2021-11-02 01:13:39)

#7 2021-11-02 01:18:54

GodGMN

Okay that made battery and sound black, I like that since those two were key for me, specially the battery which has a text label attached to it telling the time left to charge/discharge (not shown in the screenshot because I'm plugged and at 100%)

5xh4HYy.png

I figured I should tell you which icons are from which plugin, so I'll start from the left:

From the red/hwite one to the Bluetooth one: Status tray plugin. They are: Anydesk, Wi-Fi, Clipman, MX Updater, Eject USB and Bluetooth.

If I figured how, I'd probably remove the eject, the updater and AnyDesk to be honest. I can access those from other places and they don't need to be there constantly, but I couldn't figure how to do it from its settings.

The volume control is PulseAudio Plugin. The battery is Power Manager Plugin. The clock is DateTime, which for some reason is not fixed width so when the numbers are shorter (for example al lot of "1") the icons move to the right, but when the number is wider, all icons move to the left. It wouldn't be so noticeable if I didn't have the seconds activated, right now all the icons move by 3-4px every second and it's mildly infuriating lmao but I guess that's for another topic.

Anyway back to the topic, none of the "Status tray plugin" items were colored, so I guess it has its own settings or maybe even "fixed" image icons if that makes sense?

By the way, I've been recently searching a lot around this forum and I see you posting there a lot, even several years ago. Thanks for your contributions man, without you I definitely would have had a harder time setting this up.

#8 2021-11-02 01:30:20

ToZ
Administrator

See the edit in my previous post about mx-usb-unmounter icon.

In the Status Tray Plugin properties, there is an option to "request symbolic icons". If you select this, and restart the panel, the clipman icon will also change to black (and maybe one or two of the others).

Edit: for the apt-notifier plugin:

sudo cp mnotify-none-wireframe-dark.png mnotify-some-wireframe.png

Last edited by ToZ (2021-11-02 01:44:22)

#9 2021-11-05 03:57:37

GodGMN

Hello, sorry for the delayed reply, I have been quite busy these days.

Changing the .svg icon worked, thank you. However, requesting symbolic icons did not change any of them.

About that apt-notifier .png, where should I execute that command?

Thanks for the help.

#10 2021-11-05 10:52:09

ToZ
Administrator

GodGMN wrote:

About that apt-notifier .png, where should I execute that command?

Sorry, forgot the path there. You should execute it in the /usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps directory.

However, requesting symbolic icons did not change any of them.

Strange. It did for me. I'm running MXLinux in a VM with the same theme as you. Try restarting the panel (or logging out and back in again). If it still doesn't change, can you post back the contents of ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css and ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini

#11 2021-11-16 18:15:43

GodGMN

Hello, thanks. Those are the outputs:

https://pastebin.com/R8ydArdP

Board footer