Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-11-09 02:45:56

TheWhaley99

Notification Area not showing up

I apologize if I have posted on the wrong section but I've been trying to find out where did the "Notification Area" go.

I'm currently using this Status Tray Plugin but my System tray plugin only have 1 known item and that is Network Manager Applet. As for my status notifiers, since I just downloaded Flameshot, I only have that as my known item. Is this supposed to happened?

Also, the Linux distribution that I am currently using is Arch Linux.

Here are the images of the issue.

https://imgur.com/a/Xr1HHJt

EDIT: I have also found similar issue on https://forum.manjaro.org/t/cant-see-an … in/59525/5

This is what I found in xfce4-panel.xml, it has <property name="plugin-<numOrder>" type="string" value="systray">

https://imgur.com/a/0FDYpBR

I guess that means I do have it? But it's weird that I only get 1 known items in Status Notifier and Systray Icon, I saw others with Notification Area have way more known items on it.

Last edited by TheWhaley99 (2021-11-09 02:58:20)

#2 2021-11-09 06:34:56

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Notification Area not showing up

Hello and welcome.

The "Notification Area" was merged with Status Notifier plugin to create the new Status Tray plugin in 4.16. As you've noted, in the properties of the Status Tray plugin, there are two sections - the old systray (Notification Area) section that lists systray plugins and Status Notifiers. Programs will only show up in those lists when the associated programs are launched. So in your case, the network-manager-applet (nm-applet) in the systray and flameshot in the status notifier section as those applications support those type of tray protocols.

To get more items to show up there, you should install and run the associated programs that will create systray or status notifier entries.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2021-11-09 09:06:07

TheWhaley99

Re: Notification Area not showing up

ToZ wrote:

Hello and welcome.

The "Notification Area" was merged with Status Notifier plugin to create the new Status Tray plugin in 4.16. As you've noted, in the properties of the Status Tray plugin, there are two sections - the old systray (Notification Area) section that lists systray plugins and Status Notifiers. Programs will only show up in those lists when the associated programs are launched. So in your case, the network-manager-applet (nm-applet) in the systray and flameshot in the status notifier section as those applications support those type of tray protocols.

To get more items to show up there, you should install and run the associated programs that will create systray or status notifier entries.

Ohhh okay, that makes so much sense now, I've been trying to find out what happened but most questions include Notification Area when I had no idea where mine went.

Thank you sooo much big_smile big_smile

Board footer