Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-11-18 11:12:34

nPHYN1T3

xfsettingsd stops working

Running 4.16, xfsettingsd doesn't crash or anything it just stops doing things it's supposed to do. I noted another report of this but it's marked solved and not quite the same. For me input constantly gets ignored. I can xfsettingsd --replace & and it works for a few minutes then any keyboard shortcut ceases to function. I'm about to make a cronjob to constantly run xfsettingsd --replace but this is a tad silly. I suspect this has something to do with the now long in the tooth unaddressed issue with XFCE no longer working with more than one XScreen. i.e. if I try a keyboard shortcut on another XScreen it some times works, some times doesn't but is probably for the catalyst of this crapping out.

#2 2021-11-18 11:42:06

ToZ
Administrator

Re: xfsettingsd stops working

Can you post the contents of your ~/.xsession-errors file?

You can also run xfsettingsd in debug mode:

XFSETTINGSD_DEBUG=1 xfsettingsd --replace --no-daemon

It would be interesting to see what is output when it stops working.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2021-11-18 11:44:55

nPHYN1T3

https://pastebin.com/2VtVper8

I forgot about that line for debug, I did ye olde --help to see if there was a -d flag but nada.

I'm nervous I'm missing something that will bite me later but I dare say I just fixed the whole set of issues by reverting to 4.12. I'd still like to ask why 4.14 and 4.16 have so many "broken by design" choices though. I mean can you explain why it was decided to stop enumerating XScreens which breaks various xfconf-query and basic settings?

Last edited by nPHYN1T3 (2021-11-18 12:25:10)

#4 2021-11-18 12:39:19

ToZ
Administrator

nPHYN1T3 wrote:

https://pastebin.com/2VtVper8

I forgot about that line for debug, I did ye olde --help to see if there was a -d flag but nada.

(xfsettingsd:1016178): Gdk-CRITICAL **: 04:17:45.660: gdk_window_get_screen: assertion 'GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

So yeah, it looks like its related to the fact you have multi-head screens in use. I see that you have an open bug report (https://gitlab.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-sett … issues/326). That would be the best place to deal with it.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2021-11-18 12:45:26

nPHYN1T3

I have several bugs open but they never get dealt with heh. Someone found and showed me a while back where the XScreen enumeration was explicitly killed off and hard coded to 1. However I've asked many times and in several places why this has been done with only crickets. Just seems every new release is a cascade of new issues stemming from this one thing.

I'd move to an arandr set up if it wasn't terrible. I spent some time trying to figure out the vague syntax for the new randr "provider." I got it working in so far that all GPU's where used with all outputs/screens but it was unusable. Sitting idle that style of setup kept all my GPU's over 50%.

Board footer