Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-12-16 17:28:59

djordy

[Feature request] Task manager could use an upgrade

Are there any plans to upgrade the task manager to display the usage of multiple cores? In the days of dual cores a total cpu usage was fine, but a lot of the modern computers come with 12-16 thread ryzen cpus. I can't tell from a single total cpu usage how many threads a process is using and how much load it puts on them. Ofcourse i can just install the system monitor from gnome or kde but i think it would be nice to just have it in the xfce taskmanager.

Network usage is also a very basic functionality that is lacking.

Last edited by djordy (2021-12-16 17:42:01)

#2 2021-12-16 18:45:20

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [Feature request] Task manager could use an upgrade

Hello and welcome.

Looks like someone has already started some work on this. See: https://gitlab.xfce.org/apps/xfce4-task … /issues/27.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2021-12-16 20:16:30

djordy

ToZ wrote:

Hello and welcome.

Looks like someone has already started some work on this. See: https://gitlab.xfce.org/apps/xfce4-task … /issues/27.

His last activity was a year ago, his effort/interest seemed to have died out.

I would work on this myself if had the necessary skills and experience, I have only done some C projects in college but never worked with gtk or contributed to big established projects.

Last edited by djordy (2021-12-16 20:22:44)

#4 2021-12-21 00:10:34

CwF

djordy wrote:

modern computers come with 12-16 thread ryzen cpus. I can't tell from a single total cpu usage how many threads a process is using and how much load it puts on them. .

What actionable information are we looking for?
Since 12-16T is rather tame for some, how does this request scale to multiple sockets and >16 cores?

Similar to my years old comments on xfce4-cpufreq-pluin the display can suffer from TMI!
Maybe by socket could be clear and useful, as memory use could be by numa zone. On the other hand, that should be sorted by other means and I'm not such a fan of the *user* Task Manager as a graphical diagnostic tool since the graph display is mostly shiny rice. The text lines are useful, so maybe a better breakout of detail under cpu% ?

Really the most efficient monitor core temp, that hot core is doing the work!

#5 2021-12-22 19:16:59

djordy

CwF wrote:
djordy wrote:

modern computers come with 12-16 thread ryzen cpus. I can't tell from a single total cpu usage how many threads a process is using and how much load it puts on them. .

What actionable information are we looking for?
Since 12-16T is rather tame for some, how does this request scale to multiple sockets and >16 cores?

Similar to my years old comments on xfce4-cpufreq-pluin the display can suffer from TMI!
Maybe by socket could be clear and useful, as memory use could be by numa zone. On the other hand, that should be sorted by other means and I'm not such a fan of the *user* Task Manager as a graphical diagnostic tool since the graph display is mostly shiny rice. The text lines are useful, so maybe a better breakout of detail under cpu% ?

Really the most efficient monitor core temp, that hot core is doing the work!

I think a textual display of the usage on every thread would already be enough, like you hover over the cpu graph and it shows all the percentages in text. Im not sure if is possible to view the load a particular process puts on each thread, but that would be great.

Last edited by djordy (2021-12-22 19:22:33)

Board footer