Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-12-20 04:51:44

badsector

Text/html, executable binary or script file into the deskbar?

Plasma lets me drag a text/html file into the panel and then a click loads into an editor or a browser. I can give it an icon of mine, etc. This may also work with executable binaries or scripts (can't say off-hand).

Beginning with text/html, how can this be done in XFCE?

TIA

#2 2021-12-20 12:11:30

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Text/html, executable binary or script file into the deskbar?

xfce4-panel only supports the drag and drop of .desktop files in this manner. The Xfce way is to add the launcher plugin to the panel, then edit the launcher properties and create a new entry where the command is "exo-open </full/path/to/file>" (here you can select which icon you want to use)

If you would like plasma-like functionality added to xfce4-panel, you will need to create an enhancement request.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2021-12-20 22:06:54

badsector

Re: Text/html, executable binary or script file into the deskbar?

ToZ wrote:

xfce4-panel only supports the drag and drop of .desktop files in this manner. The Xfce way is to add the launcher plugin to the panel, then edit the launcher properties and create a new entry where the command is "exo-open </full/path/to/file>" (here you can select which icon you want to use)

If you would like plasma-like functionality added to xfce4-panel, you will need to create an enhancement request.

Thank you very much.  Hmmmm, maybe I could make such desktop files but I'm not sure if I'd want XFCE to become Plasma at all :-)

Not being familiar enough with it my place is more to just lurk and ask for advice when stuck, but I WILL later take you up on that 'enhancement' link to make it even better than plasma.

Board footer