Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-01-01 20:31:39

Skaperen

configuring mouse speed

many years ago as i was doing setups for many userids i run, i adjusted the mouse speed higher on 3 users i expected to be working mostly with the mouse.  i was going to make all users be the same once i found the right speed for me.  for various reasons i never did that.  i have since forgotten how i did that.

so i have 2 questions:

1,  i want to know how to change mouse speed (and other settings).  i did a duckduckgo search and it seems the popular way involves the xinput command.  i know for sure that i did not use xinput to set the mouse speed before because i first used it just a few months ago and i do remember whether i have done things that way when i see how, again.  i am confident it was a GUI setting, but i cannot find

2.  what file it is stored in.  maybe i can just copy the file (while this user is not logged in).

#2 2022-01-02 02:25:15

mint4all

Re: configuring mouse speed

Greetings!

The simplest GUI-way I know of ...
Settings Manager > Personal Section > Mouse and Touchpad > Devices Tab > Pointer Speed

You'll have 2 tweaks available: Acceleration (pointer speed), and Sensitivity (pixel-granularity).

Cheers, m4a

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#3 2022-01-02 23:38:16

Skaperen

mint4all wrote:

Settings Manager > Personal Section > Mouse and Touchpad > Devices Tab > Pointer Speed

i can't find a way to get to Settings Manager > Personal Section.  i cannot find any "Settings Manager" but i find "Settings" in Whisker menu.  in there is no "Personal Section" so that may be the wrong place.  or this is a Mint thing i don't have.

#4 2022-01-03 00:37:20

Skaperen

i found

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root  84248 2018-07-10 05:26:54.000000000 -0400 /usr/bin/xfce4-mouse-settings

and tried running that.  it popped up a little menu.  it did have Acceleration and Sensitivity but they were not having any effect i could see.  i did go into the "theme" tab and was able to make my pointer red and a bit larger (32).  that worked although nothing was saved anywhere in the user's home directory for anything i set.

#5 2022-01-03 01:04:07

mint4all

Skaperen wrote:
mint4all wrote:

i can't find a way to get to Settings Manager > Personal Section.  i cannot find any "Settings Manager" but i find "Settings" in Whisker menu.  in there is no "Personal Section" so that may be the wrong place.  or this is a Mint thing i don't have.

My apology for having misled you ... Sorry ... The "xfce4-settings-manager" can be called up from anywhere (terminal / panel-button / whisker menu) -- this isn't a "mint" thing afaik. Whisker's launch-button can be configuren with a whole bunch of mini-buttons that call up any command you chose, or you can just activity (on/off) any of the pre-configured mini-buttons. On my systems, the "Settings Manager" button is set to ON -- your whisker's button may be configured differently; idk.

Anyways, the settings' main window title is called "Settings". Contrary to what i said above, the mouse & keyboard settings seem to be located in that window's "Hardware" section -- but that could have been changed by your distro. The mouse & keyboard settings popup has a drop-down list of devices in its "Devices" tab; did you select your mouse from that list? Adjusting the acceleartion sure works just fine on my system(s). Note: make sure that you have the correct driver for your mouse configured (ie for logitech's wireless combo).

Cheers, m4a

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#6 2022-01-03 06:37:01

KBar

Invoke it with

xfce4-mouse-settings

As m4a said, you also need to have the necessary drivers installed. For my touchpad, it is xserver-xorg-input-synaptics.

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

#7 2022-01-04 01:54:56

Skaperen

yeah, i did find the command.  but i am very sure the first time was a GUI way to get there without having to configure it.  but now that i know the command, i am set.  i mostly use a bash shell command line, so a command is fine for me.

now, i am looking for which file these mouse settings get saved in, so i know what to copy when i upgrade to Xubuntu 22.04 LTS on a new laptop.  so far all i did was change the theme for the mouse and nothing is changed in the user home directory.

the mentioned driver.  is that for just configuring or also for using?  the mouse works.  it just moves the pointer slower.  i just want to have it ove faster.  one of my many users does.  i just forget which one.  the settings i get from that command don't do it.

#8 2022-01-04 03:17:08

KBar

Skaperen wrote:

yeah, i did find the command.  but i am very sure the first time was a GUI way to get there without having to configure it.  but now that i know the command, i am set.  i mostly use a bash shell command line, so a command is fine for me.

If you're on Xubuntu 20.04, the dialog is called Mouse and Touchpad.

now, i am looking for which file these mouse settings get saved in, so i know what to copy when i upgrade to Xubuntu 22.04 LTS on a new laptop.  so far all i did was change the theme for the mouse and nothing is changed in the user home directory.

The backend is xfconf and its settings are saved in $HOME/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/ per user. Mouse settings are in the pointers channel.

the mentioned driver.  is that for just configuring or also for using?  the mouse works.  it just moves the pointer slower.  i just want to have it ove faster.  one of my many users does.  i just forget which one.  the settings i get from that command don't do it.

It is for configuring the mouse. There's also xserver-xorg-input-libinput but you have to try them both to see which one enables additional configuration like acceleration.

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

#9 2022-01-07 19:32:21

Skaperen

i'm on Xubuntu 18.04.6.  upgrading involves figuring out which new packages correspond to which old packages and testing.  i do have a spare drive with 20.04 on it.  i'm wondering if 22.04 will be worth waiting for.  if it goes with Wayland that might be a challenge.

right now i'm slowed down due to keyboard issues (3 dead keys).  so i need to switch laptops soon.  i do have a spare to switch to and full reverse-increment backups to restore from.

edit:

the 3 dead keys are:  left Ctrl, %/5, main Enter.  i have temporary workarounds.

Last edited by Skaperen (2022-01-07 19:38:36)

#10 2022-01-08 01:25:13

Skaperen

by mouse speed i mean the ratio between the distance of movement of mouse device and movement of pointer indicator (index of location where mouse events happen).  i have a limited space available to move my mouse.  it roughly corresponds to the pointer moving the full screen.  that makes it awkward sometimes.  i want to increase the speed so that less mouse movement is needed.  then i want to discover which file it stores this setting in and copy it among all my users so the speed is the same for all.  but i don't see this setting in /usr/bin/xfce4-mouse-settings.

Last edited by Skaperen (2022-01-08 01:30:38)

Board footer