Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-01-02 14:15:48

cmcanulty

Libre office images

I have been searching and trying this for a while and can never get it to work. I want to insert many images one after another into either write or draw. It always overwrites the images instead of appending them. I looked without luck for an overwrite option in menus.

#2 2022-01-02 21:43:05

peter.48

Re: Libre office images

What mean "one after another"? side by side?
How do you try to insert? Because with simply copy and paste is enough, in Writer after paste, resize like you want, after right click on image, choice "anchor" p.ex. "as character" (or other, try what is better for you) and you can place image were you want moving with cursor. In Draw: copy, paste, resize and put where you want.
If you paste several images at the same time, they are all pasted in the same place, one covering the other, you just have to resize and move them where you want.
It's easy and without any problem...
Check here:
https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/community-support/

#3 2022-01-02 22:20:33

cmcanulty

nope every time one image replaces the first I click inset-image then resize and try to click below it and paste next image and it replaces first image every time. I did try anchor to page also  and it makes no difference it won't let me pick more than one image at a time either I have never been able to do this. I guess I will find a way to do it online thank you

#4 2022-01-05 08:17:09

peter.48

First:

cmcanulty wrote:

I did try anchor to page

this option does not exist in Libre and Open Office, I  dont know what are you doing or how.

Second: try copy-paste as I have written, this works in Draw and Writer

Third: using menu Insert-> Image works just as well, both in Draw and in Writer

Fourth: try again (Draw): insert image, displace it (usually it is inserted in the center of the page), click on free space on the page and after insert another one.

Fifth: in Writer first in Tools->Options (or Alt+F12)->LibreOffice Writer->Formatting Aids->Image Anchor-> put "As Character", and then insert your images, each image will be inserted the same as a letter after the cursor (which after insert image is just after it)

Sixth: note that this is a forum dedicated to XFCE and not to Office, you should look for help in the OpenOffice forum or in the link I have given you (not forgetting that in the same Office you have a Help menu, by default F1)

Seventh: from the way you write I deduce that you are one of those people who do not do things attentively and then have pretensions against everyone that something does not work, when they are the ones who do things wrong.

Eighth:

cmcanulty wrote:

I have been searching and trying this

I doubt if you have really been looking hard, and if you have, you haven't applied the instructions well.

Ninth: another time try to describe everything very precisely, detailing each step, so someone can know what you do and find out where you make mistakes

#5 2022-01-05 15:55:44

cmcanulty

Ok I know you are trying hard to help me. I am using libre office and I do get a right click anchor and I have tried all of your suggestions and none work. I will give up on this and find other tools but I think not being able to insert multiple images is a real drawback to both writer and draw as I have tried all the suggestions on both. I wish screenshots were available on this forum as then I could show you all, of this but thank you just the same

#6 2022-01-05 16:27:22

KBar

You can take a screenshot, upload it to any image hosting service and post the link here. ImgBB and Imgur produce easy-to-copypaste BBCodes for images you upload.

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

#7 2022-01-05 16:56:30

cmcanulty

OK I am linking 3 screenshots. I can't screenshot the right cl showing anchor options as it dissapears when I click screenshot but instead a link showing the anchor function from libreoffice help. Then screenshot 2 showing original image pasted in and screenshot 3 showing how when I pasted in image 2 it replaced the original image let me know if you need something else. I inset images by clicking inset-image in libre office writer thnak you
https://ibb.co/SPyCt7F
https://ibb.co/tJmtSM9
https://ibb.co/SxKk9MH

#8 2022-01-05 17:04:47

KBar

cmcanulty wrote:

I can't screenshot the right cl showing anchor options as it dissapears when I click screenshot but instead a link showing the anchor function from libreoffice help.

Launch the Screenshot app. Set a delay that you're comfortable with. Select a region to capture. Hit OK. Confirmation dialog even has an option to upload to Imgur.

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

#9 2022-01-05 17:17:33

cmcanulty

OK here is a shot showing the anchor option that never works

https://ibb.co/T2ZdJ72

#10 2022-01-05 17:37:33

peter.48

I have tried all of your suggestions and none work.

2 min. of "hard work":
https://postimg.cc/R6BKj1Hn
https://postimg.cc/H85GVgLN
Don't say this doesn't work, there is something you are doing wrong, but we can't know what it is with your explanations that provide practically no information.

#11 2022-01-05 17:45:52

peter.48

peter.48 wrote:

Formatting Aids->Image Anchor-> put "As Character"

I have written "as character", not "to...", but as "to character" it works well too.
What version of LO do you use? because I have never seen the "to page" anchor option before.

Last edited by peter.48 (2022-01-05 17:47:58)

#12 2022-01-05 17:55:30

cmcanulty

Version: 6.4.7.2

#13 2022-01-05 20:50:26

peter.48

Try again (Writer):
1.insert an image
2.check if it is anchored as a character (if it is not, set it as a character)
3.if the image is checked (active), uncheck it by clicking on the free part of the page
4.make sure that the cursor is blinking next to the image (it is the same height as the image)
5.insert another image
another-time.png
https://postimg.cc/zL8zTF2x

Last edited by peter.48 (2022-01-05 20:54:31)

#14 2022-01-05 22:15:22

cmcanulty

yea that seems to work though oddly they seem to not stay in order as pasted. Also the cursor will never blink but seems to work anyway. Seems counter intuitive to anchor an image as a character but who cares if it works, Thanks so much!

#15 2022-01-06 04:49:08

peter.48

Image is as a character, so you move it like a letter: cut and paste in another place (if there is text and other images), put cursor in front of it and move image with "space"...
Sometimes it is difficult to put cursor in front of the image, it stays behind, so you have to move it with arrows.
It is the simplest way to work with images in Writer, but if you want to make more complex arrangements of text and images, it has some limitations. For this you have to move to the other type of anchor, work with fields etc.

cmcanulty wrote:

oddly they seem to not stay in order as pasted

image is always embedded after the cursor (like a letter), so you always have to look where the cursor is. Sometimes it is necessary to put some letter to see where the cursor is and after inserting the image, delete it (letter).

Last edited by peter.48 (2022-01-06 04:57:54)

#16 2022-01-06 14:00:33

cmcanulty

great thanks so much

#17 2022-01-07 18:54:10

chw9999

I was suffering from the same problem, but I found that - even on my Xubuntu 20.04 LTS - I was able to upgrade to LibreOffice 7.2. It has a setting to permanently set "Image as a character" in Write, whereas the 6.x version does not.

Only difference to the Windows program equivalent pasting of pictures is (where you may have learned the procedure), that you have to place the cursor next to the pasted picture before you insert the next.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1362690 … untu-20-04
(hope it's fine to post the link)
If you are willing to use a ppa, it's worth a try. "dist-upgrade" did a lot of work on my system, but everything works as before.

#18 2022-01-07 20:04:20

peter.48

chw9999 wrote:

I was suffering from the same problem, but I found that - even on my Xubuntu 20.04 LTS - I was able to upgrade to LibreOffice 7.2. It has a setting to permanently set "Image as a character" in Write, whereas the 6.x version does not.

I have an older version of LibreOffice and I have this option (instead I have no option to "anchor to the page"), it's in:

peter.48 wrote:

Fifth: in Writer first in Tools->Options (or Alt+F12)->LibreOffice Writer->Formatting Aids->Image Anchor-> put "As Character", and then insert your images, each image will be inserted the same as a letter after the cursor (which after insert image is just after it)

and it is permanent change (by default, to say it another way).

chw9999 wrote:

Only difference to the Windows program equivalent pasting of pictures is (where you may have learned the procedure), that you have to place the cursor next to the pasted picture before you insert the next.

It is not necessary, after the inserted image you can write, go down several lines with "enter", go back to the top of the page, do whatever you want, where you put the cursor will be inserted the next image, just as you can insert a letter wherever you want, you can insert an image if it is anchored as a character.

Board footer