Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-01-06 18:08:04

nixIT

[SOLVED] display settings profile location

hello all,

where are the display profiles stored in xfce? I set up a the displays how I want, and when I go to save the profile under settings manager/display/advance, I get a message saying profile already exists, yet none are displayed.

I've tried to do a find:

sudo find / -name *profile-name*
sudo find / -name profile-name
sudo find / -name profile-name*
yet nothing is found.

any ideas?

--nixit

Last edited by nixIT (2022-01-06 21:34:46)

ASRock X570 PG VELOCITA AM4 AMD X570  | AMD Ryzen 5900x | 128GB G.SKILL RipjawsV  | ASRock Radeon RX 6700 XT Challenger D

#2 2022-01-06 18:24:55

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] display settings profile location

Interesting problem. They are stored in the xfconf backend. You can view them via:

xfconf-query -c displays -lv

...or by looking them up in the xfce4-settings-editor (in the displays channel).

Eventually they are saved to disk at ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml//display.xml, but you shouldn't edit the file directly while xfconfd is running.

Be interesting to see if you can find that profile name in any of those locations.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2022-01-06 18:28:41

nixIT

ToZ wrote:

Interesting problem. They are stored in the xfconf backend. You can view them via:

...or by looking them up in the xfce4-settings-editor (in the displays channel).

Eventually they are saved to disk at ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml//display.xml, but you shouldn't edit the file directly while xfconfd is running.

Be interesting to see if you can find that profile name in any of those locations.

thanx, I'll take a look!

ASRock X570 PG VELOCITA AM4 AMD X570  | AMD Ryzen 5900x | 128GB G.SKILL RipjawsV  | ASRock Radeon RX 6700 XT Challenger D

#4 2022-01-06 20:42:08

nixIT

ToZ wrote:

I found the old profiles listed in the display.xml file,

I also found a few old monitors (still active) in the xfce4-settings-editor/displays.

what's the best way to clean this up and only have current monitors/displays and profiles listed?

thanx

--nixit

#5 2022-01-06 21:11:39

ToZ
Administrator

If you want a clean start, log out, make sure the xfconfd process isn't running, then delete (or rename) the displays.xml file. It will be re-created on the next log in and will only have the current display info in it.

You can also try to edit it (same process as above) if you want to manually manipulate the file.

Third option involves using xfconf-query commands or directly from within xfce4-settings-editor to remove the offending entries.

The first option is the quickest and easiest way to reset the display configuration if you have no need to hold on to any existing displays configuration.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#6 2022-01-06 21:16:34

nixIT

ToZ wrote:

If you want a clean start, log out, make sure the xfconfd process isn't running, then delete (or rename) the displays.xml file. It will be re-created on the next log in and will only have the current display info in it.

You can also try to edit it (same process as above) if you want to manually manipulate the file.

Third option involves using xfconf-query commands or directly from within xfce4-settings-editor to remove the offending entries.

The first option is the quickest and easiest way to reset the display configuration if you have no need to hold on to any existing displays configuration.

thanx, I'll give it a whirl.

#7 2022-01-06 21:35:36

nixIT

thanx for your help.

I used xfce4-settings-editor and reset the display portion..

Board footer