Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-12-26 20:40:56

Sideburns
Website

Panel Problems

I'm using Xfce 4.14 and Compiz and am not in a position to upgrade right now.  My preference is to have one panel, at the bottom of the screen, but suddenly that panel moved up until the bottom was where the top should be.  Restarting Compiz didn't help, nor did logging out and back in without saving the configuration.  Trying to go back to an earlier setting just gave me a full top panel and a short bottom one.  I've managed to remove the bottom one but I can't find out how to get that remaining panel back where it belongs.  Does anybody know what happened or how to correct it?  And yes, the panel is unlocked.

Last edited by Sideburns (2021-12-26 22:26:55)

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

#2 2021-12-27 23:05:10

peter.48

Re: Panel Problems

Make sure that in "panel preferences" you have checked "lock panel". If it is not this, I have no idea what to do, to see if someone knowledgeable can help you...

#3 2021-12-27 23:28:13

Sideburns
Website

How could locking the panel help me to move it from the top to the bottom?

#4 2021-12-27 23:49:45

mint4all

Sideburns wrote:

How could locking the panel help me to move it from the top to the bottom?

Season Greetings to you!

Fwiw: what you refer to being a "Panel" is simply an xfce-owned "window" that comes with special properties, such as orientation (portrait / landscape) and position (top / inbetween / bottom / left / inbetween / right) which are being "locked in" by the "Lock Panel" setting. If this setting is being turned off (panel unlocked) a "handle bar" appears at both ends of the panel. When clicking and holding such a handle bar, the entire panel can be dragged to whatever position you want. Letting the mouse-hold go, leaves the panel where you dragged it to. Then by re-locking the panel, you can make sure that it doesnt float around the screen by accident.

The "automatically hide" settings control when the panel shows itself based on where your mouse's pointer is hovering, or when an app needs that screen space, unless you set it to "never" hiding. The "reserve-space" setting controls whether or not the panel "floats" over an app's window (helpful on lower-resolution screens), or if an app's window expands to but not over the panel's space -- just experiment with those setting and see what suits you best.

Cheers, m4a

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#5 2021-12-28 00:15:15

Sideburns
Website

I call it a panel because that's what Xfce calls it.  Thanx for explaining how to move it.  Now, I'll have to put the various items on it back where they belong...

#6 2022-01-11 02:06:56

Sideburns
Website

One last question: Does anybody know where Xfce stores the configuration for this, including the plugins and their location?  I can't find it anywhere in my home folder, including in the hidden files and folders.

#7 2022-01-11 03:55:42

KBar

They're stored in $HOME/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-panel.xml.

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

#8 2022-01-11 04:08:50

Sideburns
Website

Thanx!  Not only well-hidden but in a hard to read format.  Wow!

#9 2022-01-11 04:21:12

KBar

It's not meant to be read directly. For that very purpose, there is xfconf-query, which also allows manipulating and monitoring it.

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

Board footer