Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-01-13 16:03:12

sebastian-65

Some hotkeys stopped working

In keyboard settings -> Application Shortcuts I have multiple shortcuts running bash scripts, mostly.

• Some stopped working (Super+Y, Ctrl+Shift+_, ...)

• They do start working after being remapped to another shortcut (and then even mapped back to previous value)

• Functioning shortcuts don't seem to break during session, though appears to be broken after reboot (always same ones)

• Change of the action doesn't affect anything (still won't work)

• Change of used modifier (Super, Ctrl, Shift, Alt) won't help either

• First occurence about two/three weeks ago

Running Arch 5.15.13, Xfce 4.16.

Any ideas what might cause this?

Last edited by sebastian-65 (2022-01-13 16:18:37)

#2 2022-01-13 18:32:58

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Some hotkeys stopped working

Hello and welcome.

Is there anything in your journal at the time that they stop working (possibly xfsettingsd or libxfce4util-related)? Also do you use a non-standard keyboard layout?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2022-01-13 20:11:56

sebastian-65

Hello ToZ, thank you for your time.

I'm unable to dig up logs that old. My journalctl outputs nothing from this boot on about those two things you mentioned.

However, it would make sense if the problem would be related to keyboard layout. I'm using Czech layout (qwertz), using Generic 105-key PC keyboard, which would definitely effect those hotkeys (containg y or underscore).

#4 2022-01-13 21:38:52

ToZ
Administrator

Maybe this bug? But strange that you just noticed it 2-3 weeks ago.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2022-01-14 15:38:43

sebastian-65

If there are more keyboard layouts defined, the detection of shortcuts in xfsettingsd swallows up wrong combinations.

I had only one layout - the czech one, so it shouldn't be related to this bug. I tried to mess with layouts yesterday, but none of changes seem to affect this odd behaviour.

#6 2022-01-14 18:21:05

ToZ
Administrator

sebastian-65 wrote:

Functioning shortcuts don't seem to break during session, though appears to be broken after reboot (always same ones)

If they are broken after reboot, try restarting the xfsettingsd daemon to see if it fixes the problem:

xfsettingsd --replace

If it does fix the issue, possibly a race condition?

Also, here is a way to get debug info from xfsettingsd from boot - might be interesting to see what it says during startup. Create the file /usr/local/bin/xfsettingsd with the following content:

#!/bin/bash
export XFSETTINGSD_DEBUG=1 
/usr/bin/xfsettingsd --replace --no-daemon > /tmp/xfsettingsd.log 2>&1 &

...and make it executable. Restart the computer. On login, if the issue happens, review (and feel free to post back) the contents of the /tmp/xfsettingsd.log file.

#7 2022-02-04 11:23:41

hinxx

I think I have similar problems. I've remapped the workspace switch/move left and right to Super+Left and Super+Right, respectively.
The hotkeys work as expected during the active session, but after reboot or restart of the `xfsettingsd`, as seen above, switching to left workspace is broken (workspace not switched), while switching to right workspace still works. I've observed several other similar breakages all involving Super key, also.

Looking at the `/tmp/xfsettingsd.log` there is nothing logged when pressing Super+Left or Super+Right.

[FWIW this is on Xfce 4.16]

#8 2022-02-04 11:54:57

hinxx

After explicitly *clearing* the hotkey and then (re-)defining the hotkey again the hotkeys do remain active and functional across reboots (for now smile.

Board footer