Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-02-08 14:11:27

chomwitt

Display setting wont persist if i close the screens.

In a dual monitor setup , letsay screen A and B i set A to be left and primary.
If i close the a screen B and then A and i reopen A i see that B has become the primary screen and the xfce panels and menus will appear in B and also now B appers on top of A .
And althougth a mark is still in A the settings say now that B is primary.

xfce 4.16

Last edited by chomwitt (2022-02-08 14:16:53)

Distro: Devuan GNU/Linux 5 (daedalus)  Desktop: Xfce 4.16.0

#2 2022-02-08 17:56:36

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Display setting wont persist if i close the screens.

chomwitt wrote:

If i close the a screen B and then A and i reopen A i see that B has become the primary screen and the xfce panels and menus will appear in B and also now B appers on top of A .

Somethings not clear here. You've closed B, then A and re-opened A, but B is primary and has panels and menu? But isn't B closed?

Try going to Settings Manager > Display > Advanced tab. When you have the monitors set up correctly, save a profile for it and also check the "Configure new displays when connected" switch/button. Then do your test again.

If that doesn't work, try running xfsettings in debug mode:

XFSETTINGSD_DEBUG=1 xfsettingsd --replace --no-daemon

...then do your test above. See what's being output.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2022-02-08 19:44:11

chomwitt

Thanks!. From the Advanced tab i  saved my config end selected 'Configure new "Configure new displays when connected.

Now the situation is better:
1.  A which has the panel is selected as primary.
2.  Now i close B (nothing change in still open A)
3.  I close A .
4.  I open  A and now A still has the panel and icons but any window prevously in B will now be in A.
     (also i see a small selection rectangle to select from 5 double monitors layouts : mirror , letf , mysaved one ,  etc).

So the remainer issue is minor (any window prevously in B will now be in A) and i dont know if that can be solved also.

Last edited by chomwitt (2022-02-08 19:49:35)

#4 2022-02-08 20:16:28

ToZ
Administrator

chomwitt wrote:

So the remainer issue is minor (any window prevously in B will now be in A) and i dont know if that can be solved also.

This is how it is intended to work. When B no longer "exists", xfwm4 needs to put those windows somewhere, so it moves them to the active display.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2022-02-08 21:12:17

chomwitt

Ok, thanks again.

#6 2023-01-24 06:40:54

Mo_B

From what I understand here, there is no way to avoid getting windows moved around when switching off the screens. The only thing I can do is to automatically re-assign the screen setup when all 2 screens are switched on again?
Sometimes during nightly updates all the automatic screen suspend doesn't work, and if I don't like to let all the screens running all the night, I just switch them off. Is there any way to avoid the windows moving around?
I guess, a workaround is to switch to some terminal like CTRL+ALT+F1 during the switchoff and switchon of the screens, so Xfce does not detect the change?

Now I tried creating a screen profile, enabled [x] Configure new displays... and [x] Automatically enable profiles...
But I can't see the new created profile. Creating again fails with "the profile already exists". I closed the display dialog and re-opened again, still no profile visible.
This is Xfce 4.16 on Gentoo.

Last edited by Mo_B (2023-01-24 06:45:58)

Gentoo-Linux

Board footer