Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-02-22 03:08:58

Skaperen

two Xfce4 sessions in the same instance of X windows

i can run two separate text login sessions on a single instance of X windows by starting two virtual terminal applications which start a shell.  what i would like to know is if there is a way to start two Xfce4 sessions in the same instance of X windows, assuming everything is the same user (X window assumes this).

#2 2022-02-22 05:37:30

KBar

Re: two Xfce4 sessions in the same instance of X windows

There is Xnest, and its improved replacement Xephyr. It is possible to have a multi-seat, multi-terminal setup with Xephyr. Please, have a read: https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Multiseat … ion/Xephyr

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

#3 2022-02-22 18:16:48

Skaperen

both Xnest and Xephyr run multiple X servers even though Xephyr modifies it to bypasss the "main" X server.  it's still 2 X servers for 2 sessions.  it is my understanding that you can only have one X server per user.  my ultimate goal is two X sessions for one user (as identified in /etc/passwd).  it does not appear that Xephyr can do this.

#4 2022-02-23 00:50:40

Skaperen

actually, multiple X servers would be OK if i can get 2 or more of them to run for the same user, each with Xfce4.  this is not a multi-seat or multi-monitor situation.  there is just one.  that one seat will switch between/among the various sessions.  one possible way to o this is with VNC where each session instance is at a different  VNC port.  a VNC client would be run at the real seat and then connect and switch to each preferred session.  the next question is if Xfce4 itself can handle 2 or more instances of itself under a common userid.  would it run just one commonly use set of the storage processes to avoid data corruption?

#5 2022-02-24 01:06:24

CwF

Skaperen wrote:

actually, multiple X servers would be OK if i can get 2 or more of them to run for the same user, each with Xfce4.  this is not a multi-seat or multi-monitor situation.

Purpose?
With vm's you can use a common base image and layer multiple vm's on that one image.

#6 2022-02-24 07:14:43

Skaperen

the goal is to login twice or more to the same user on the same system, much like can easily be done with 2 virtual terminal to 2 shells running 2 ssh sessions in parallel to that one system and each logging in to that common userid. but graphically instead of a text-only interface, and Xfce4 instead of Bash (and maybe secure VNC instead of, or over, SSH.

#7 2022-02-24 16:29:48

CwF

Well, I guess your answer is "no purpose" and rather simple exploration.
Above where you mention 'data corruption' you really mean 'Data Contention'.
You can log in the same user however there is no mechanism for a shared home because in essence there should not be! The definition of 'user' implies a single entity operating in a linear fashion. Your reason to allow an additional 'interruption' as the same user by any method is still not clear, and fundamentally insecure. Technically, the reality that you can log on the same user more than once is a functional gap in Linux bordering on FLAW! However, there is no mechanism to ensure a single logon, enforce a logoff, allow a single active etc...There could be an issue with automation via user if a 'foreground' user instance was enforced. Anything that uses a 'session' methodology is intended to be a unique instance. Ultimately, the protector of integrity is not machine but 'user'.

There was a reason why John Crichton's dupe needed a name tag!

As I suggested, make a golden image of home, and layer a cow instance on top. Virtual machines make multiple instances of the same user trivial, and keep it coherent. The inconvenience/convenience of a shadow user modifying user files within a 'session' is still needing "PURPOSE", just to do it isn't a legit reason.

#8 2022-03-02 23:35:37

Skaperen

> The definition of 'user' implies a single entity operating in a linear fashion.

i do not agree.  to me 'user' is an instance of authentication and authority to access a service (a system), a bundle of credentials.

as for purpose, it is for any and whatever case the user has.  i am not going to try to anticipate any.  but, i have seen them happen and my memory of conclusion of subject matter is that they exist.

Board footer