Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-04-20 20:25:38

julesr

Disable "panel click on active window hides it" behavior?

Hi all,

Somewhere in my ~30 years of using X I picked up the habit of always clicking on a window's icon in the panel (/taskbar/whatever the WM I was using called it) to ensure that it was maximized, raised to the front and had input focus before doing anything with that window. With xfce though, behavior is as follows:

1) if the window is minimized, maximize it, raise it, and give it focus.

2) if the window is maximized but not raised to the front, raise it and give it focus.

3) if the window is already maximized and raised to the front, minimize it.

Condition #3 frequently drives me nuts :-) Is there a way to disable that aspect via settings (or, if needed, some other means) while retaining the expected "click to raise and give focus" functionality?

thanks,

Jules

#2 2022-04-20 23:15:28

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Disable "panel click on active window hides it" behavior?

Hello and welcome.

In the tasklist (Window Buttons) plugin properties, there is an option for Middle Click Action. If you set this to "Minimize Window", then the windows will never minimize via a left-mouse button click - only a middle click.

Perhaps this will do?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2022-04-20 23:58:07

julesr

ToZ, that appears to have done it! Thanks so much, this has been "casually bugging me" for a few years but somehow never quite to the point before that I'd made a serious attempt to solve it. The trick now is going to be remembering what the answer was the next time I do a fresh install anywhere ;-)

#4 2023-06-20 18:12:32

SRoyPC

ToZ wrote:

Hello and welcome.

In the tasklist (Window Buttons) plugin properties, there is an option for Middle Click Action. If you set this to "Minimize Window", then the windows will never minimize via a left-mouse button click - only a middle click.

Perhaps this will do?

Thank you very much. This is definitely what I was looking for.

Board footer