Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-04-30 06:53:33

Acode

Two wifi icons in the xfce4-panel

The Xfce panel is showing the 2 wifi icons. The panel has the status notifier plugin and I think it's the reason for the 2 wifi icons. Could someone please help me to figure out and solve the issue?  I'm on Xubuntu 22.04 LTS version.

#2 2022-04-30 09:03:30

Tamaranch

Re: Two wifi icons in the xfce4-panel

You should just remove the deprecated status notifier plugin: it is integrated into the status tray plugin now.

Last edited by Tamaranch (2022-04-30 09:04:12)

#3 2022-04-30 14:41:50

Acode

Thanks a lot for replying, Can you please just elaborate it a bit. (I am actually a noob)

#4 2022-04-30 14:49:04

Tamaranch

Since Xfce 4.16 (which you use on Ubuntu 22.04), the status tray plugin contains the functionality of the status notifier plugin, which is why the latter is considered deprecated.

So basically, you have two duplicate plugins and you have to remove the status notifier. It doesn't appear in the screenshot you show above, but I guess if you scroll down it will appear.

#5 2022-04-30 15:16:42

KBar

If that was the case, then the second icon would appear after the notifications plugin.

Can you double-click on Status Tray Plugin and post a screenshot?

Open a terminal and execute the following line:

xfconf-query --channel xfce4-panel --list --verbose | grep systray

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

#6 2022-04-30 16:00:15

Acode

Thank you Tamaranch for your constant guidance, and thank you Kbar for trying to help, I performed 2 tests, First I Logged out and logged back into the PC, and then the second wifi icon disappeared automatically. And then when I shut down the PC and turn it on again, then again the extra wifi icon appeared. Then I removed the Status Tray Plugin from the panel and add it again then, again extra icon disappeared and everything went normal. I think it's a bug in Status Notifier Plugin.

#7 2022-04-30 16:10:30

Tamaranch

Hmmm, KBar is right, sorry. I was misled by the use of the term "status notifier", which refers to an older plugin different from systray.
It could indeed be a bug.
@Acode: Could you please answer KBar's questions?

#8 2022-04-30 17:14:50

KBar

I suspect you might have two instances of network-manager-gnome, or its alternative running on your system (perhaps one in /usr/local/bin).

However, since you confirmed that everything is normal, it would be a good idea to mark this topic solved.

Thanks.

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

#9 2022-05-01 02:01:54

Acode

Since I turned on my pc after a shutdown. The problem again appeared and it's appearing again and again after the boot of the PC after the shutdown. As Kbar said, here are the required screenshots. And I noticed one more thing, instead of the blue wifi icon that is appearing in the screenshot the panel should have the Diodon (a clipboard manager) icon.

Screenshot of the panel items and the screenshot of the window that opened after I double-clicked on the status tray plugin:
after double click on Status tray plugin

Output of

xfconf-query --channel xfce4-panel --list --verbose | grep systray

:
output

Kbar could you please assist me further, in understanding the problem whether it's a bug or something else?

#10 2022-05-01 06:02:34

KBar

Now could you share the output of:

xfconf-query --channel xfce4-panel --property --verbose /plugins/plugin-3/known-items

and

xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -pv /plugins/plugin-3/known-legacy-items

Use code tags if you can; they will make it much more legible and help with indexing in the search results.

#11 2022-05-01 16:12:25

Acode

KBar wrote:

Now could you share the output of:

xfconf-query --channel xfce4-panel --property --verbose /plugins/plugin-3/known-items 

Output:

acode@acode-Inspiron-3558:~$ xfconf-query --channel xfce4-panel --property --verbose /plugins/plugin-3/known-items
Property "--verbose" does not exist on channel "xfce4-panel".

After removing the --verbose flag the output is:

acode@acode-Inspiron-3558:~$ xfconf-query --channel xfce4-panel --property /plugins/plugin-3/known-items
Value is an array with 3 items:

Diodon
nm-applet
blueman
KBar wrote:

and

xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -pv /plugins/plugin-3/known-legacy-items

Output:

acode@acode-Inspiron-3558:~$ xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -pv /plugins/plugin-3/known-legacy-items
Value is an array with 1 items:

network

Last edited by Acode (2022-05-01 16:13:36)

#12 2022-05-01 17:34:11

KBar

As you can see, you have two network plugins. When you open the properties of System Tray, you'll see two tabs: Status Notifiers and Systray Icons. The former was selected in your screenshot. Tick the box in the Hidden column next to the one that you'd like to get rid, leaving the other, the one that you prefer, unchecked.

Last edited by KBar (2022-05-01 17:35:28)

Board footer