Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-05-04 23:25:42

X4me

Sign in looping

When I turn on my computer I am getting a sign in that takes my entry data then blinks through a screen or two and then comes back to the sign in.  I've tried a number of things from post fixes and nothing worked.  In the end I had to do a back up and then reinstall.  And it happened again... I hope there is a fix, I don't want to leave Xfce after about ten years.

#2 2022-05-05 00:09:28

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Sign in looping

Hello and welcome.
This sounds like an issue with the display manager and not Xfce per se. However...

Which distro and which version of Xfce are you using?

Are you able to post back lo files? Ctrl+Alt+F2, log in as your user via the text console and see if you can somehow post back the end of the ~/.xsession-errors file:

cat ~/.xsession-errors

...as well as the output of:

ls -l $HOME

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2022-05-05 02:46:59

KBar

Re: Sign in looping

systemd journal will usually show what's wrong at the time of initiating a desktop session.

In addition to the above.
After it attempts to log in and returns back to the login window, can you switch to a virtual terminal and run?

journalctl -n 20 --no-pager | nc termbin.com 9999

This will show the last 20 entries in the journal and pipe it to termbin.com (terminal pastebin service). Write down the link and post it here.

Last edited by KBar (2022-05-05 02:47:21)

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

Board footer