Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-05-06 13:35:05

Plutonium5793

What program is it that other programs use to load files and how can I

change it.  XFCE has gone to a program that other programs (like geany) use to load files.  It has 2 very irritating features (to me).   I have tried Mate and others and they use a different program, but the still have one of the irritating features.  Still 1 is better than 2, but I want to continue using XFCE. 
first feature:
After 20 years of finding the Open and cancel button in the lower right corner, this program moved them to the up right and left corner.  Difficult to get used to and no apparent advantage.
second and worse feature:
"+ other locations"   Awe, comeon.   I have 4 additional harddrives that I have to click this useless button to get at.   It is especially irritating since there are maybe 10 or 15 line of white space below that button that could be used to display that.   If that column were full of information I could see that but why not display all the locations since it used to, and there is plenty of room.  Thunar displays them, why not this program?

I cannot seem to find the name of this program, but it is only used in XFCE (at least with feature#1), I would like to get the name of the program, and change the program to something more useful. 

Any help is appreciated,
john

#2 2022-05-06 16:08:34

ToZ
Administrator

Re: What program is it that other programs use to load files and how can I

Plutonium5793 wrote:

After 20 years of finding the Open and cancel button in the lower right corner, this program moved them to the up right and left corner.  Difficult to get used to and no apparent advantage.

This is configurable. You need to disable DialogsUseHeader:

xfconf-query -c xsettings -p /Gtk/DialogsUseHeader -s false

(it's also available in the Settings Editor if you want a qui method of disabling it.

second and worse feature:
"+ other locations"   Awe, comeon.   I have 4 additional harddrives that I have to click this useless button to get at.   It is especially irritating since there are maybe 10 or 15 line of white space below that button that could be used to display that.   If that column were full of information I could see that but why not display all the locations since it used to, and there is plenty of room.  Thunar displays them, why not this program?

I cannot seem to find the name of this program, but it is only used in XFCE (at least with feature#1), I would like to get the name of the program, and change the program to something more useful.

I believe you are referring to the GtkFileChooser dialog. This is a component of Gtk that many Gtk-based applications utilize - its not Xfce code. That being said, I'm not sure if you can change it - Gtk apps are coded to use it.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2022-05-06 16:50:19

KBar

Sorry, I'm having a little trouble understanding this. Could you post a screenshot or two showcasing what you deem to be wrong or unwanted behavior?

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

#4 2022-05-07 13:36:30

Plutonium5793

Thank you, Moderator.  That command took care of the first problem quickly and nicely.   I am glad I asked, it has irritated me for awhile. 

The second problem:  I made the images but am not sure how to post them here.  (haven't used the site much)  I don't see an obvious way to upload them. I tried to follow the img tag thing ,but it didn't seem to upload the images.   If you can tell me how I will put them up.

Thanks for any help,
John

#5 2022-05-07 14:20:39

Plutonium5793

and thank you one more time moderator.  I found an easy way to get them to display.   Once I knew it was GTK-3.0, I located the .config/gtk-3.0 directory.  Inside was a bookmark file that displayed the items that were shown.
I simply added 
file:///media/Car-1-3T
which is where my Car-1-3T harddrive is located and it immediately appeared. 
same for my other harddrives, so now it all works the way I want.   
I have been using xfce4 for years and hated to leave but I was thinking about it.   Thank you all for the help.

Board footer