Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-05-24 14:27:11

herri

How can i lock down XFCE?

I tried to lock down the backdrop (I think is the terminology for wallpaper for XFCE) in the kioskrc file. But I can still change wallpaper even after logout and login. Would it be possible to make XFCE only read the system wide xml files rather than the user modified files? What am i doing wrong?

#2 2022-05-24 15:29:06

KBar

Re: How can i lock down XFCE?

Hello and welcome.

Could you paste your kioskrc file?

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

#3 2022-05-24 16:32:27

herri

KBar wrote:

Hello and welcome.

Could you paste your kioskrc file?

It wasn't very clear how to organize your kioskrc file. I tried both under /etc/xdg/xfce4/kiosk/kioskrc and if xubuntu /etc/xdg/xdg-xubuntu/xfce4/kiosk/kioskrc and put just the following:

[xfdesktop]
CustomizeBackdrop=NONE

That's it. It appeared to make no difference of any kind.

#4 2022-05-24 18:31:40

KBar

You're right. Looks like xfdesktop's kiosk mode was migrated to xfconf:
https://gitlab.xfce.org/xfce/xfdesktop/ … ADME.kiosk
https://git.xfce.org/xfce/xfconf/tree/d … el-xml.txt

Copy your current xfce4-desktop.xml to /etc/xdg/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/ (to set default values) and edit the backdrop property like so:

<property name="backdrop" type="empty" unlocked="USER1;USER2...">

The locked and unlocked properties take a semicolon-separated list of user and group names. locked defaults to "empty", while unlocked—to "*".

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

Board footer