Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-05-27 00:31:09

Skaperen

Xubunto 20.04 (focal fossa)

my laptop hardware finally died.  fortunately i have a full reverse-increment backup made the day before, and a spare laptop just like the one that died.  but the big problem is that it had an old Ubuntu 14.04 on it.  i was using Xubuntu 18.04 on the laptop that died.  i tried to install 22.04 from a memory stick i had but it was not Xubuntu.  i found i had Xubuntu 20.04 so decided to go with that and installed it on the spare laptop and work my stuff into that one.

i can't figure out which version of Xfce this is.  most things are working as intended.  but not all.

one big thing broke a lot of my scripts.  that is that "wmctrl" command is no longer available.  i copied the binary from my backup of my 18.04 system and that seems to work well enough for my scripts (a "ws" command changes the workspace if given a number or outputs the workspace number if nothing is given).

stuff in ~/.config/autostart does not run.  i still need to dig further into that but i do wonder if maybe it has been deprecated, too.  lots of my automated setup won't work with this missing.

#2 2022-05-27 02:13:40

schwim
Website

Re: Xubunto 20.04 (focal fossa)

Skaperen wrote:

i can't figure out which version of Xfce this is.

This should get you the info you need. In the terminal,

xfce4-about -V

#3 2022-05-27 02:48:30

Skaperen

Re: Xubunto 20.04 (focal fossa)

schwim wrote:
Skaperen wrote:

i can't figure out which version of Xfce this is.

This should get you the info you need. In the terminal,

xfce4-about -V

thank you!!  it is 4.14

i have solved the .config/autostart issue.  a script needed to be copied into /usr/local/bin.  the dead system had an old version of my script there, but it had been working fine all along, anyway.  it just needed to be where a PATH search could find it.

Board footer