Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-06-03 00:06:34

Skaperen

where is this setting saved?

when i go to Desktop>>Background>>Vertical Gradient, i can set 2 custom colors, one for the top, one for the bottom, and get the gradient between them as my background.  i'd like to know where this is saved.  i tried to see what file changed when i changed the colors but no file was updated.  i guess it got queued or buffered.  the reason i want to know this is to collect a set of files that i can distribute to multiple users to configure them exactly alike.

#2 2022-06-03 00:34:09

ToZ
Administrator

Re: where is this setting saved?

Its saved in xfconf in memory and eventually written to disk at ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-desktop.xml.

You can query it via xfconf-query (assuming only one entry):

xfconf-query -c xfce4-desktop -p $( xfconf-query -c xfce4-desktop -lv | grep rgba1 | awk '{print $1}')
xfconf-query -c xfce4-desktop -p $( xfconf-query -c xfce4-desktop -lv | grep rgba2 | awk '{print $1}')

It's stored as an array of 4 values (RGBA).

#3 2022-06-04 03:01:04

Skaperen

what want to do is create a user specifically change and keep template settings.  when i create a new user, i will just copy in these files and change owner/group to the new user.  then that user starts out with the template settings.  once set up i see no reason to use any other tools besides some form of file copy.

#4 2022-06-04 04:56:50

KBar

Skaperen wrote:

what want to do is create a user specifically change and keep template settings.  when i create a new user, i will just copy in these files and change owner/group to the new user.  then that user starts out with the template settings.  once set up i see no reason to use any other tools besides some form of file copy.

Edit the skel file located in one of the XDG_CONFIG_DIRS subdirectories. On Xubuntu, it's /etc/xdg/xdg-xubuntu/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-desktop.xml. Default resource location is /etc/xdg/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml. If the XML file doesn't exist, simply create it. That should work.

Last edited by KBar (2022-06-04 04:57:13)

Xubuntu 20.04

#5 2022-06-04 22:33:08

Skaperen

KBar wrote:

Edit the skel file located in one of the XDG_CONFIG_DIRS subdirectories. On Xubuntu, it's /etc/xdg/xdg-xubuntu/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-desktop.xml. Default resource location is /etc/xdg/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml. If the XML file doesn't exist, simply create it. That should work.

that's even better.  thanks!

Board footer