Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-06-20 18:17:03

agashamu

[SOLVED]Notifications

Hi,
There used to be a nice, smart little app, a PPA, called "Recent Notifications"
https://launchpad.net/~jconti/+archive/ … ifications
Sitting in systray and showing missed notifications, including mail with icons that changed when something new arrived. It doesn't work anymore in 22.04 based LL 6. Tried to install it, got some errors, but it did get installed anyway somewhere because I can see its icons in the system, but it's not in the systray.
Is there any similar app that could be used instead?
Thanks!

Last edited by agashamu (2022-08-17 04:45:09)

Linux Mint Xfce 21.1

#2 2022-06-21 07:55:35

PaperNick

Re: [SOLVED]Notifications

Hey, I haven't used this app before, but have you tried configuring the built-in notification plugin?
You need to add it to the panel, then click on "Notification Settings", then click on the "Log" tab and select "Log notifications" -> "always"

After that, you will see the notifications in the history log. To simulate a notification for test purposes, execute:

notify-send -i checkbox 'New message' 'You have received a new message!'

Does this work for your use case?

#3 2022-06-21 16:04:31

agashamu

Thanks PaperNick!
I have tried it years ago, but didn't work for me. Probably screwed up the configurations...I will try again later on today.

Linux Mint Xfce 21.1

#4 2022-06-22 04:19:27

agashamu

Well. I tried it. Still don't like it. It's icon is pretty ugly and it doesn't change on notifications. Recent Notifications did, so if you left your computer and came back later, the icon indicated that you have got new mail or new what ever you configured it to show. That was the main function I liked it for.
But thanks again for replying. You have a great day Sir!

Linux Mint Xfce 21.1

#5 2022-06-22 05:09:50

KBar

agashamu wrote:

It's icon is pretty ugly and it doesn't change on notifications.

Both depend on your icon theme. Elementary, for example, provides symbolic icons for three states: standby, when you receive a new notification and when it's disabled. It looks fine.

Recent Notifications did, so if you left your computer and came back later, the icon indicated that you have got new mail or new what ever you configured it to show.

If you want something specifically for mailing, check out xfce4-mailwatch-plugin. I don't use it but the last time I tested it, it worked well.

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

#6 2022-06-22 16:04:47

agashamu

Thanks for the info KBar!
I tried xfce4-mailwatch-plugin, it never gets connected to Yahoo. Maybe I need the Yahoo generated app password for it? Btw: congratulations to you for your "new job"...

Linux Mint Xfce 21.1

#7 2022-06-22 16:54:04

KBar

agashamu wrote:

I tried xfce4-mailwatch-plugin, it never gets connected to Yahoo. Maybe I need the Yahoo generated app password for it?

If you use generated passwords, then yes, you're gonna have to provide them in place of your original password.

Btw: congratulations to you for your "new job"...

Thanks!

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

#8 2022-08-17 04:43:27

agashamu

A week ago, after upgrading to Mint 21, I found Ayatana-indicator. It works good! Pretty much works like that old indicator did, icon sits in systray and changes when getting new notifications, keeps info until cleared, so you don't miss any notifs, including emails. But there is no config-settings for it, maybe gtk.css file can be used for it...??? Also, Synaptic shows lots of "sub-indicator" for it, but hard to understand what they can do, if anything...
There is very little info online about it. Anyway, it solves my problem.

Linux Mint Xfce 21.1

#9 2022-08-17 04:57:41

KBar

I'm not entirely sure about it but I think the Ayatana project was discontinued along with Unity. I could be wrong, though.

#10 2022-08-17 05:25:30

agashamu

Well, it's then just my bad luck again. Thanks KBar! What's happening with Linux lately? Since my upgrade, 6 of my favorite apps cannot be reinstalled, have been discontinued, taken out of repositories, or what ever. I know, there is no money to make in this "business" but it's very sad...

Linux Mint Xfce 21.1

Board footer