Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-06-30 17:19:54

bbogart

Opaque backgrounds on launchers and separators on transparent panel

Hello All,

I finally upgraded to focal from the previous ubuntu LTS. I had set my panels to be transparent using a transparent PNG as "background image". I really loved the clean look. After upgrading (now using panel 4.14.3) Some icon backgrounds are opaque and others transparent. In the previous panel the backgrounds for launchers, separators, and the application menu were all transparent, but now they show an opaque background different than all the other panel items. Here are some screenshots:

Separator and launcher icons have opaque backgrounds

Applications Menu and window buttons have opaque backgrounds

The previous behaviour would have been to have the backgrounds behind the launcher icons the same transparency as the panel itself. Same goes for the other panel, where the "Applications Menu" should have a transparency background the same as "Places" (beside it).

Panel items that seem to lack transparency include:

Applications Menu
Separator
Launcher
Clock
Window Buttons

So what's going on with the inconsistent behaviour? Is there a workaround to make my panels consistent without making them opaque again?

Last edited by bbogart (2022-06-30 17:20:16)

#2 2022-06-30 17:32:42

KBar

Re: Opaque backgrounds on launchers and separators on transparent panel

Hi. Good to have you here.

You can try setting a transparent background color. Move the slider all the way down to zero (no opacity). See if that helps.

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

#3 2022-07-04 16:39:15

bbogart

These screenshots *are* using the fully transparent background color! Also as this is a new feature, I had previously been using a transparent PNG as the background image for transparency and that shows the same issue where only some parts of the panel are transparent. I think this is a design oversight / bug.

#4 2022-07-04 16:50:43

KBar

Apologies, but you only said that you "set [your] panels to be transparent using a transparent PNG as background image".

Anyway, your issue might be related to this. Keep in mind that 4.14 is not really new. This behavior is absent on Xubuntu 22.04, which uses Xfce 4.16. You might wish to upgrade once the first point release is out in early August.

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

Board footer