Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-04 05:52:12

Aravisian

WhiskerMenu theming

With Misko's and Toz's almost unintentional help, I created an Azenis style WhiskerMenu and panel theme to compliment the AzenisEX theme.
https://www.pling.com/p/1355565/

But I want to point out here, on a forum, that this can be used as a template by anyone that would like to swap out the images in the whiskermenutheme folder for any other images they would prefer. Using the materials in the theme as a guide, you can change it to almost anything else that you want.
Theming of WhiskerMenu hopefully made easy.

Last edited by Aravisian (2020-02-04 05:52:52)

#2 2020-02-04 12:06:40

ToZ
Administrator

Re: WhiskerMenu theming

Nice. You've covered most (all?) of whiskermenu's tweaking capabilities. This will be a useful resource for anyone looking to tweak whiskermenu.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2020-02-04 18:18:13

Aravisian

ToZ wrote:

Nice. You've covered most (all?) of whiskermenu's tweaking capabilities.

Good point- I did get a bit lazy and relied on the "to compliment the AzenisEX theme" part. I did not include the treeview, which I will add to it.
Here is the treeview background snippet- which can be modified as wanted.

#whiskermenu-window treeview.view:selected, treeview.view:selected:focus {
  color: #ffffff;
  text-shadow: 0 -1px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.2);
  -gtk-icon-shadow: none;
  background-image: linear-gradient(to right,
	                                  #3296CF,
	                                  #004473);
 }

#4 2020-02-05 20:35:02

jakfish

This is wonderful. I added it to my own garbled /.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css and the menu is great. Since I run a pure black theme, I disabled the /.config/gtk-3.0/whiskermenutheme/background.png. Your background is cool and flashy, too good for my simple/simplistic theme.

I especially admire the careful use of gradients and the blue-framed hovering of menu items.

Can't thank you enough for your hard work.

As an aside, I was wondering if you could direct me to a like-minded menu icon for the panel, but more round. I'm sticking with my transparent, all-black panel and I try to use round-ish icons, while Azenis seems to have a rectangular approach. Not a big deal if there isn't something readily out there (I very much like the 3D-ish blue hovering/active panel icon).

Congratulations; I'll run your menu in all my xfce OS's,
Jake

#5 2020-02-05 21:40:29

Aravisian

jakfish wrote:

This is wonderful. I added it to my own garbled /.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css and the menu is great. Since I run a pure black theme, I disabled the /.config/gtk-3.0/whiskermenutheme/background.png. Your background is cool and flashy, too good for my simple/simplistic theme.

LOL
I like to think that others can take it as a template and then turn it into anything that they want. I would hardly say the background image I included is "too good" for anything- it is merely different. I have many different themes on my machine, some I made myself, some I modified and some I downloaded as is. They are all very different from eachother. It is ONE thing currently keeping XFCE great...the variety and diversity.

jakfish wrote:

As an aside, I was wondering if you could direct me to a like-minded menu icon for the panel, but more round. I'm sticking with my transparent, all-black panel and I try to use round-ish icons, while Azenis seems to have a rectangular approach. Not a big deal if there isn't something readily out there (I very much like the 3D-ish blue hovering/active panel icon).

Give me some specs and I can make you one to your liking and shoot it to you in an email.

As an aside of my own... School is in full steam and I have not had a computer available to install a Gnome Desktop on to test your theme calculator border issue.

#6 2020-02-06 15:21:50

jakfish

Have sent you some emails and once again, thank you for your above-and-beyond assistance.

Jake

#7 2021-08-23 07:53:43

dancaer69

Hello, I'm trying to change colors of whisker menu gtk3. I've found some examples and I tried the following in gtk.css:

/************************
  * Whisker Menu -xfce4 *
 ***********************/
#whiskermenu-window {
   background-color: #393451; 
   color: #ffffff;

The above changes the window color fine, but now the text of the entries is in black color. I thought that the "color" entry is for text, but has no effect(if it is). So, how to change also the text color?

EDIT:
Found it:

#whiskermenu-window button {
color: #FFFFFF;
}

Last edited by dancaer69 (2021-08-23 15:19:28)

#8 2022-07-02 14:17:26

uibits

Hello, I'm interested in toying with the Whisker Menu.

It looks like the link in the OP is broken and there's no archived copy at archive.org.

Does anyone have a copy? If its just commented CSS code maybe consider posting in the forum directly?

#9 2022-07-02 14:34:23

KBar

Hi and welcome to our forums.

We can't really do anything if the author decided to take it down.

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

#10 2022-07-02 16:35:53

agashamu

Linux Mint Xfce 21.1

#11 2022-07-10 15:15:15

uibits

Thanks folks, the GTK inspector is great, but I can't use it on the whisker menu because when I click the inspector button the wkisker menu loses focus and closes.

Awkward.

I just want to add a 3px border radius to the whisker menu and also add a "transparent border" around it so that it appears to float a few pixels above the panel, rather than just appear to sit directly on top. Bonus points if this can be animated so the whisker menu fades in and lifts upward.

#12 2022-07-11 02:39:29

KBar

Right-click on the Whisker Menu icon, select Properties. Under Behavior tab, tick the Stay visible when focus is lost box.

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

#13 2023-05-11 20:13:41

uibits

Great find, KBar. Being the master prioritizer I've not yet got around to doing the above 'dream UI improvement', but maybe soon.

Board footer