Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-07-17 18:25:34

golinux

[SOLVED] Pluma menu bar(s) font size on Devuan Chimaera (bookworm)

Yes, I know that Pluma is not a native Xfce application but it is my preferred text editor since gedit . . . well you know.  big_smile  So I thought I'd post here because you guys are just soooo good at tracking down stuff like this.

The title bar font is adjustable. The text area font is adjustable. But I have not been able to find where to change the font size of the application's menu and other information bars. It must be a 9 or 10 at most and nearly unreadable.

Any ideas how to remedy this?

I'll be booting up that system shorty if you need a screenshot or other specific info.

Thanks.
golinux

Last edited by KBar (2022-07-27 16:46:55)

#2 2022-07-17 19:07:04

KBar

Re: [SOLVED] Pluma menu bar(s) font size on Devuan Chimaera (bookworm)

Try to add the following to your ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css:

.pluma-window #MenuBar label {
	font-size: 16px
}

Adjust the number to suit your needs.

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

#3 2022-07-17 22:54:15

golinux

Thanks! That fixed the MenuBar but the fonts on the tabs and StatusBar (which I don't often use) are still too small. sad  Is there a way to fix that. If I do it in the Theme, the font will be too big everywhere else.

On another subject . . . The new input box border has my old eyes seeing double.  How disorienting and fugly can XFCE get . . .

#4 2022-07-18 02:33:28

KBar

golinux wrote:

That fixed the MenuBar but the fonts on the tabs and StatusBar (which I don't often use) are still too small. sad

Of course they are because the above rule set does not affect them.

Is there a way to fix that.

Replace the previous one with the following:

.pluma-window #MenuBar label,
.pluma-window notebook label,
.pluma-window statusbar label
{
}

This will set the font size for all three of menubar, tab bar and statusbar.

On another subject . . . The new input box border has my old eyes seeing double.  How disorienting and fugly can XFCE get . . .

It is indeed off-topic here.

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

#5 2022-07-18 21:57:18

golinux

KBar wrote:

Replace the previous one with the following:

.pluma-window #MenuBar label,
.pluma-window notebook label,
.pluma-window statusbar label
{
}

This will set the font size for all three of menubar, tab bar and statusbar.

Indeed it does. I may make it even a bit bigger.  Thank you KBar.  smile

#6 2022-07-24 05:17:25

golinux

@KBar . . . Sadly, there are other elements in pluma that also need to have a bigger font like clicked drop-down menus, informational windows  etc. Is there a way to snag them all with a wildcard? Or does each one have to be named individually? I'm hoping that someone might have a list handy. It would be very appreciated.

I have been using Linux about 20 years and Xfce for the majority of them but I have NEVER had as many problems as with 4.16. It's been terribly frustrating that all the parts no longer seem to pull in the same direction and everything is sooo complexified. . I have been at this off and on for weeks and still don't have an acceptable work flow set up. sad

#7 2022-07-27 16:43:16

KBar

Three things:

1. You replied in this topic a couple of weeks ago. ToZ provided the most comprehensive guide on how to use GTKInspector that you can possibly find on the entirety of the Internet (GTK's documentation team could learn a thing or two). All the material is out there, at arm's length, waiting to get picked up.

2. As you correctly stated in the opener, Pluma is not an Xfce app, which is why I had to install it first to be able to give you an idea how to remedy the problem in the subject. I believe it to have been resolved. Further inquiries would fit more on MATE's forums.

3. In both of your replies, the last paragraphs were off-topic and negative; the latter isn't a problem per se. For valid, constructive feedback, criticism and other issues you may come across with are best addressed in their own topic each. Of course, make sure you have searched the forum first.

Since your initial question was answered, in my opinion, satisfactorily, I'm marking the topic as such and also closing it wholly.

Last edited by KBar (2022-07-27 18:02:56)

Board footer