Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-07-29 15:29:30

sfammonius

XFCE Qt fork

reply to https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?pid=68241#p68241

ToZ wrote:

sfammonius wrote:
The main reason I'm trying to get XFCE to switch is because I hate to see Unix as a whole slowly get worse thanks to GTK and GNOME.

(Imagine if all desktop environments except GNOME and LXDE used Qt, everyone would think that GTK was slow/ugly.

These are very subjective statements. Not everyone agrees with them.

TLDR: I'm forking XFCE because I think it would be better than LXQt if it used Qt, and because I think it will give Qt a small boost over GTK in the Linux/Unix world (which I think is a good thing).

And this is the crux of your motivation. Not to improve Xfce, but to make Qt "win".

I'm closing this thread. You will be better suited posting this to some sort personal blog somewhere.

I worded this wrong. I didn't mean that I'm doing it to make Qt win. I was saying that if this project can improve XFCE, then it may encourage other projects to improve as well, but this wasn't the main reason. The main reason is that I thought XFCE would benifit the most since most of it's users like it for it's traditional design, and GTK is starting to affect this with removing menus and encouraging headerbars. I genuinely do want to improve XFCE.

I know that what I said about GTK was an opinion that not everyone agrees with. I meant them as opinions, but I worded them like facts. I apologise for doing that.

Please don't close this thread too. I do think that Qt is better, but that is a personal opinion and I acknowledge this. If I ever say something that sounds rude to other opinions, I promise I don't mean it that way.

Last edited by sfammonius (2022-07-29 15:30:13)

#2 2022-07-29 15:42:37

sfammonius

Re: XFCE Qt fork

Is there any way that the other thread can be unclosed? I promise to delete my last reply. I wrote it in the middle of the night yesterday and I didn't want to read it over so I just quickly pressed Submit and closed the computer.

#3 2022-07-29 16:31:04

ToZ
Administrator

Re: XFCE Qt fork

The discussion is over. You can take it to whichever blog you want. Good luck.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer