Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-18 09:53:48

oyvinds
Website

Hybrid Sleep Support for the Power Manager

If any of you girls are using a self-compiled xfce4-power-manager or you're willing to compile it yourself then I would appreciate if it if you could please test the patch at  https://bugzilla.xfce.org/attachment.cgi?id=9738

It works on my laptops and my desktop, I'm fine with it. But I haven't tested it on non-systemd machines. Further, it uses policykit to test if the user can hybrid sleep on machines with logind (systemd) instead of logind can_ methods because that's what the existing code does. That is in itself a problem but that's not what I am trying to address here.

I'll be switching away from Xfce as soon as 4.16 is released do that that CDN nonsense and unusable GTK dialogs (this affects software like LibreOffice when it is running in Xfce) so if the hybrid sleep patch hasn't made it into the git tree by then it's likely that it never will since it is unlikely that I'll bother trying to get patches into Xfce (which is next to impossible, anyway) once that joke of a GNOME clone release is made.

#2 2022-08-01 13:35:26

BuckNaked

Re: Hybrid Sleep Support for the Power Manager

I registered just to ask this question, is there a way to enable Hybrid sleep in the Power manager (I have it available through f. ex. Power menu for now)? It seems some work was made, but I'm not sure how to make use of it.. Is someone else using the solution above f. ex.?

(I haven't self-compiled xfce4-power-manager for now.)

#3 2022-08-01 17:20:57

ToZ
Administrator

Hybrid sleep support was released with xfce4-session 4.13.1. The commit, contains some more information about the requirements for it to work:

Hybrid Sleep initially only writes hibernation image to SWAP space,
it does not power off the machine, as a whole Suspend To Disk (S4) does,
it rather Suspend To RAM (S3).

The benefit of this combination is pronto RESUME from S3,
whilst in case of battery drained or interruptions in power supply of any kind,
you ain't gonna lose your work.

Hybrid Sleep is the feature of the Linux kernel.
To test it directly via cli:
echo suspend > /sys/power/disk ; echo disk > /sys/power/state

However to make this feature work,
both Suspend To RAM (S3) and Suspend To Disk (S4)
must be provided by the hardware
dmesg:
ACPI: (supports ... S3 S4 ...)
in working order.

Furthermore Suspend To Disk (S4) requires a relatively simple configuration
an appendix to kernel command line:
resume=<path to resume partition>
i.e. directive to utilize particular SWAP space
man 7 dracut.cmdline

Ref.
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentatio … swsusp.txt

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#4 2022-08-01 20:53:56

BuckNaked

Thank you for the reply. However, I think you misunderstood my question (or I misunderstood the answer).

I have hybrid sleep working if I select it from the Power off menu, but I am not able to select it in Power manager (only sleep or hibernate is available there), so I can not automatically have the computer enter hybrid sleep mode after a given amount of time, its only possible by manually chosing it.

(I think the patch by oyvinds were meant to address this issue as well..)

(I'm running xfce4-session 4.16.0 by the way.)

#5 2022-08-01 22:50:50

ToZ
Administrator

My apologies, I misunderstood. @oyvinds patch comes from this feature request. I would post there to prompt the developers for comment or consideration.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer