Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-08-15 13:52:05

ahmeteid

window buttons vs docklike ( all have problems with icon)

i'm using docklike plugin because of pinnig of app, and showing icon with right way, but the problem of it is mismatching a lot of icon like icon of panel app , and panel plugin apps,launcher,authentication window etc, and some app like windscribe,4kvideodownloder,ventoy,etc.

so i deside to return to window buttons plugin, but it has very bad icon size for apps, i have searched about that some talking about resize panel to be 32 or 36 pix, i do that but that make all icon in panel large, i want to resize icon apps only(window button) not volume icon or notification icon etc.
I have found others was taking about gtk3 css, but there r talking about a bug in it.
I have tried dockbarx plugin ,it is very very good , but the big problem about it is using double ram compare to the docklike or window buttons.
Is there a way to avoid problems of all?

Last edited by ahmeteid (2022-08-15 14:01:04)

#2 2022-08-15 21:34:25

File Manager

Re: window buttons vs docklike ( all have problems with icon)

I think Docklike is sensitive about having the executable and the icon named exactly the same.
For example, if the executable is called "palemoon", then the icon should be named "palemoon"(.png) too.
Try this and see if it makes a difference.

I'm not using Docklike so it's more of a guess, but I remember someone writing there can be a problem associating icons with executables if their names are mismatched. So for some unknown reason normal association in the .desktop file fails.

#3 2022-08-15 23:29:14

ToZ
Administrator

File Manager wrote:

I'm not using Docklike so it's more of a guess, but I remember someone writing there can be a problem associating icons with executables if their names are mismatched. So for some unknown reason normal association in the .desktop file fails.

Yes, they use different methods to ascertain icon names - docklike plugin uses desktop file info and window buttons plugin uses libwnck.

@ahmeteid, have a read through this thread (starting at post #11) for some ideas and suggestions on tweaking icon sizes.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#4 2022-08-16 00:04:02

ahmeteid

I don't think that, I have faced a lot of icon of app not matched in docklike in panel, i have solved a lot of them by refer to icon path to /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps. and make copy of .desktop of app at /usr/share/applications. and worked good. and i have tried it on authentication window, and worked,
but that not worked for ventoy, windscribe , and plugin of panel like status try plugin,  pulseaudio plugin, etc plugins

#5 2022-08-16 00:34:54

ahmeteid

@Administrator
sorry i want to ensure about file of gtk3.css, it is in the home directory?, i have one in that directory /home/eid/.config/gtk-3.0, and that it's content:

style "my-xfce-tasklist-style"
{
    XfceTasklist::max-button-size = 200

}
class "XfceTasklist" style "my-xfce-tasklist-style"

If it is that the target file, what i should do , i mean clear it's content and add the content of post 11 of your linked thread?

Last edited by KBar (2022-08-16 03:56:44)

#6 2022-08-16 04:00:34

KBar

Yes, per-user GTK configuration is in ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css.

The above rule is for GTK2 and is therefore invalid in GTK3. It is safe to remove all of the lines.

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

#7 2022-08-16 14:10:37

ahmeteid

KBar wrote:

Yes, per-user GTK configuration is in ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css.

The above rule is for GTK2 and is therefore invalid in GTK3. It is safe to remove all of the lines.

that mean that no solution for that?

#8 2022-08-16 14:36:48

KBar

ahmeteid wrote:

that mean that no solution for that?

What's "that" that you're referring to?

I just confirmed and clarified that indeed ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css is the file you need to edit and I stated that you can safely remove its current contents, which you shared, because they're invalid anyway. After that, follow the suggestions and add whatever lines you need to come to a solution.

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

#9 2022-08-16 21:14:12

ahmeteid

sorry i misunderstand that, i'm not native english speaker, i thought u talk about it's working only with gtk2, and not work in gtk3. I tried it but it doesn't work. i will return to docklike again and i will try find solutions for unsuported apps in it

Board footer