[SOLVED] thunar locking up with right click

hello all,

I've run int an odd problem.

fresh install of arch linux on a new system:

ryzen
64gb ram
4tb firecuda drive
8tb firecuda drive

and the problem is when I attempt to copy files in thunar, and I've reduced the steps to the following:

open thunar
navigate to a folder (you own)
select 1 file
right click, select copy
right click an empty space in thunar (to paste the file).

at this point the thunar freezes, the context menu never comes up, and I cannot select anything else in thunar. I have to kill the app and relaunch.

I can copy/paste in thunar with the EDIT menu, or keyboard (ctrl+c/x, and ctrl-v), it's just the right click to bring up context menu that locks it.

has anyone else experienced this? any ideas what it could be? an option I set in thunar/gtk for context menu (that I don't remember setting when I installed arch linux 5 days ago).

thanx for any help you may have

EDIT
tldr; configuring a games in bottles someone causes right click in thunar to freeze thunar and consume memory. removed bottles, deleted and re-added user, all is fine.

cheers,
--nixt

Last edited by nixIT (2022-08-21 16:39:44)

ASRock X570 PG VELOCITA AM4 AMD X570  | AMD Ryzen 5900x | 128GB G.SKILL RipjawsV  | ASRock Radeon RX 6700 XT Challenger D

#2 2022-08-18 21:25:24

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] thunar locking up with right click

I thought I just replied to this post but couldn't find it. Looks like I replied to your post on the Arch forums. Anyways, I'll copy here:

Can you post back:

thunar -V
which thunar

Troubleshooting things to try:

1. Try with another Appearance (GTK) theme

2. Try with a clean thunar profile. To do so, run the following commands:

thunar -q
    mv ~/.config/Thunar ~/.config/Thunar.bak
    mv ~/.local/share/Thunar ~/.local/share/Thunar.bak
    mv ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/thunar.xml ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/thunar.xml.bak

...then try running thunar and copy/pasting again

3. Try with a different new account on your computer with all default settings.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2022-08-19 02:41:18

nixIT

thanx for the response @ToZ

$ thunar -V
thunar 4.16.11 (Xfce 4.16)

Try with another Appearance (GTK) theme

I was using Adwaita-dark, tried High Contrast, no change, still freezing on the right click.

Try with a clean thunar profile. To do so, run the following commands:

thunar -q
mv ~/.config/Thunar ~/.config/Thunar.bak
mv ~/.local/share/Thunar ~/.local/share/Thunar.bak
mv ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/thunar.xml ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/thunar.xml.bak

...then try running thunar and copy/pasting again

I don't have a ~/.local/share/Thunar directory

should I have noticed a visual difference in thunar when I started up up after those mv commands? when I launched thunar, it looked the same as before, so I still tried to copy/paste with mouse, and still no dice.

I will create a new account and post back.

EDIT
I tested with a new user, and the right click does not lock up thunar. does this mean I have to scrap my user and add it again?

Last edited by nixIT (2022-08-19 02:52:58)

ASRock X570 PG VELOCITA AM4 AMD X570  | AMD Ryzen 5900x | 128GB G.SKILL RipjawsV  | ASRock Radeon RX 6700 XT Challenger D

#4 2022-08-19 09:50:36

ToZ
Administrator

Do you have any content in a ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css file?

Edit: Also try clearing your sessions cache. Delete the contents of ~/.cache/sessions while not logged in to Xfce (use a virtual console via Ctrl+Alt+F2).

Last edited by ToZ (2022-08-19 09:52:25)

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2022-08-19 11:12:29

KBar

It's worth mentioning that you can return to your graphical session by switching to the first virtual terminal (Alt+F1) or the last (Alt+F7).

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

#6 2022-08-19 20:07:52

nixIT

@ToZ, @KBar

thanx for the info, I don't have a ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css file, and I deleted ~/.cache/sessions while not logged into a Xfce session, that didn't make a difference.

I may just end up deleting the user to see what happens.

--nixit

#7 2022-08-20 03:40:24

nixIT

deleted my user account, recreated it and everything worked fine earlier.

now, same issue. thunar locks up after right clicking (after I've done a copy) though this time, if I wait a couple minutes I can resume navigating thunar, just can't right click an empty space (to paste) or it will freeze up.

I'm at a loss as to what is going on

#8 2022-08-20 11:28:44

ToZ
Administrator

Are you installing something (a thunar plugin, custom action, helper app) that is doing this? It might be a tough troubleshooting step, but create another test account and as you install each component/software/utility one at a time, test thunar to see if you can identify the culprit.

#9 2022-08-20 15:47:49

nixIT

@toz,

not that I know of, I'm just configuring the system the way I use it, and I just tested with a reboot, log in as my user, launch thunar and right click an empty space and BAM, thunar freezes with htop showing memory on thunar skyrocketing. it's appears to not be the cut(copy)/paste.

funny you mention that (creating another new user), that's exactly what I"m doing today, and documenting exactly what I do to the account configuration wise, and testing the right click after each step.

I will report back,

--nixit

#10 2022-08-21 04:03:11

nixIT

well, this is odd, and kinda sucks...
spent this afternoon, one by one configuring and testing the right mouse click, it worked, did not freeze thunar.
I rebooted, and still did not freeze thunar.
I created a new bottle for a windows game, and while the bottle was creating, BAM, thunar now freezes on right mouse click.

W T to the F?

any ideas what's going on?

sad news is,
since I have no way to know what is going one while bottles configures, only way to get back to working is delete the user and start over, this time, don't mess with bottles. sad

--nixit

Last edited by nixIT (2022-08-21 04:05:25)

#11 2022-08-21 11:06:53

ToZ
Administrator

I am unfamiliar with bottles, but it might be useful to find out what sort of integration it has with file managers. There could be a bug there.

Do you have an ~/.xsesion-errors file and does it have any information logged when the hang happens?

#12 2022-08-21 16:38:29

nixIT

just having bottles installed doesn't bring up this behavior, only when I add a game in bottles and it does it's configuration for the game. since I deleted and re-added my user (for the 4th or 5th time), I'm not sure I want to re-install bottles to test and find out. smile  though, I was smart this time, after finding out what it was, I backed up my home directory, so *IF* I do try, i can try to restore my home directory to see if that fixes it.

off to the bottles forum.

#13 2022-08-21 19:20:43

Skaperen

what you can do before restoring your backup, if you have enough disk space, is rename that home directory to another name.  then the restore would create a whole new copy as if you had deleted the entire home directory.

now you would have a copy of both the good and the bad and can compare actual files or file lists.  you might be able to even narrow the troublemaker down to one file.

#14 2022-08-21 22:22:26

nixIT

that sounds a whole lot easier than trying to get flatpak and bottles configured, since I have literally just started using them. lol

Board footer