Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-07-03 21:50:08

rogue_ronin

status tray plugin

I've been using radiotray-ng for years, great simple tray utility to listen to internet radio streams.

Recently the ability to roll the mouse wheel to adjust volume has stopped working. Speaking with the developer, he indicated that changes in Xfce's app indicators is the source of the problem.

Could anyone explain, and could anyone suggest a workaround?

On a more plaintive note, why do people remove functionality and call it design? It's really quite authoritiarian. I suspect this has to do with Gnome developers, it always does.

#2 2021-07-03 22:36:25

ToZ
Administrator

Re: status tray plugin

Hmm. I just installed radiotray-ng (0.2.7-1) and scrolling on the tray icon adjusts the volume for me. Status tray plugin as well.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2021-11-23 22:01:12

fondfire

Go to the Panel Preferences, select the Status Tray Plugin, click the gear-wheel icon to configure it, and uncheck "Menu is primary action" which is under "Features" on my config dialogue box.

I haven't really enjoyed the Status Tray Plugin so far, at least in Xubuntu. I find it's buggy and doesn't display "systray" icons and indicators as reliably as the old separate panel apps did. I have serious grief with KDocker stuff, with the the Clementine systray icon, and sometimes even with the NetworkManager or Blueman indicators, which are pretty fundamental. It's bad enough that I'm contemplating MATE…

#4 2022-08-22 14:57:59

fondfire

So... I have, since my last post, realized that Xubuntu INTENDS for their default desktop to solve the Status Tray Plugin issues with indicators that haven't been solved yet (at least in Xubuntu 22.04, which I realize is PROBABLY NOT the latest stable version of Xfce) by combining the use of the Status Tray Plugin and the Indicator plugin. If you combine the two and remove the indicators from the Status Tray Plugin (which can be a smidge tricky), things work much more consistently.

My only sadness about using the Indicator Plugin is that (at least in Xubuntu 22.04), there's no way to unselect "Menu is the primary action" in the Indicator Plugin. So, the original poster's issue, which CAN be addressed if his indicator pops up in the Status Tray Plugin might NOT be able to be addressed from the Indicator plugin.

(You CAN kinda get an indicator to pop up in both, but it's... a bit maddening to pick and choose indicators for the Status Tray Plugin when you're also running the Indicator Plugin. When the Indicator Plugin is running, Indicators simply DO NOT appear in the Status Tray Plugin. You can clear Indicators from the Status Tray Plugin when they are NOT running at all. AFAIK, you cain't really add indicators running in the Indicator Plugin to the Status Tray Plugin. And you can't really remove individual indicators from the Indicator Plugin.)

The indicator plugin makes things (mostly) more functional and reliable. But with any luck, the Status Tray Plugin evolves and stablizes. I do like the unified design. When it works, it's better. (If it's stablized upstream, I hope Xubuntu incorporates the bugfixes back into 22.04 ASAP.)

(So for now, no MATE for me...)

Thanks for the work, guys. Sorry about the bitter post before. It's workable, but there's a path to better yet...

Last edited by fondfire (2022-08-22 14:59:40)

Board footer