Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-08-24 16:28:06

Tio

[SOLVED] List all themes (or XFWM themes)

We are creating TROMjaro, an XFCE based distro (a manjaro spin) and we try hard to sync GTK themes with QT. So far so great. We detail it here https://forum.tromjaro.com/t/how-we-theme-tromjaro/90/2 - but we need to grab the XFWM themes that are available on XFCE in order to sync the System's theme with the Window Manager Theme....in XFCE that's how it is.

You see some XFWM themes add XFWM in their names....making it difficult to go around that.

I can explain more but is there a way to grab a list of all XFWM themes?

Last edited by KBar (2022-08-25 07:47:28)

#2 2022-08-24 17:59:53

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] List all themes (or XFWM themes)

If you are talking about those that (used to) ship with Xfce, here they are. They are archived in the Xfce gitlab instance, but many distros still ship them. Note: they have no effect of CSD windows are not guaranteed to have a CSD alternative.

However, there are many other custom-built themes that you can get from places like xfce-look.org - I'm not sure how you are going to inventory and efficiently process them all (if that is your intent). A better approach may be to define a certain subset of themes that you know that work well with what you are trying to accomplish and focus on them.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2022-08-24 18:03:16

Tio

heh smile - I got myself understood completely wrong. We need to grab a list of the XFWM themes that are on a system, so that we know how to sync the main theme with the XFWM one. We want to basically sync the System's theme with the Window Manager (XFWM) one automatically via a script. But to do that, we first need to check what theme is selected for the system, with `xfconf-query -c xsettings -p /Net/ThemeName` , after we grab it, we want to apply it for `xfconf-query -c xfwm4 -p /general/theme -n -t string -s` . But since the names can be different, we need to check all of the available XFWM themes on the system...

Hopefully I got myself more clear now smile

#4 2022-08-24 18:37:58

ToZ
Administrator

Ahhh. That makes more sense. Try something like this:

for t in {/usr/share/themes/*,/usr/local/share/themes/*,$HOME/.themes/*,$HOME/.local/share/themes/*}; do [ -d $t/xfwm4 ] && echo $t; done

It will check the 4 possible locations.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2022-08-24 19:45:35

Tio

Thanks I was looking at that too, but your command does not find anything:

for t in {/usr/share/themes/*,/usr/local/share/themes/*,$HOME/.themes/*,$HOME/.local/share/themes/*}; do [ -d $t/xfwm4 ] && echo $t; done
zsh: no matches found: /usr/local/share/themes/*

Despite having multiple XFWM themes in those folders.

#6 2022-08-24 19:48:15

Tio

Oh perhaps that should be a script not a terminal command - with try to bash-it

#7 2022-08-24 19:49:42

Tio

It worked! Thank you so very much! smile

#8 2022-08-24 20:21:27

KBar

Zsh has slightly different syntax, that's why you had problems running it.

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

#9 2022-08-24 20:28:09

Tio

Yup but creating a bash script fixed it!

Board footer