Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-08-29 11:09:48

dejan

CTRL-F6 shortcut gobbled up by XFCE

I am developing a tiny application using GtkD (https://gtkd.org) and after some time trying to figure out why none of my CTRL+Fx shortcuts work decided to test my theory that XFCE4 for whatever reason does not propagate those to my application. I started a GNOME session, and CTRL-F6 shortcut worked. Same story with Deepin. So, I am quite sure it is something in my XFCE4 environment that is causing this. Since I never messed with keyboard mapping it must be some default XFCE4 setting that is causing this.

I tried few other applications, just to check whether my theory (Gedit, IntelliJ IDEA, and VS CODE) and in none of these applications CTRL-Fx shortcuts worked on XFCE.

Any idea how to enable CTRL+Fx shortcuts when I run XFCE4?

#2 2022-08-29 13:44:04

ToZ
Administrator

Re: CTRL-F6 shortcut gobbled up by XFCE

Hello and welcome.

By default in Xfce, Ctrl+Fx is used to change workspaces (Ctrl+F6 to go to workspace 6 - but note that only 4 workspaces are default so it would look like it doesn't work). To remove the shortcut, go to Settings Manager > Window Manager > Keyboard, and delete the "Workspace x" shortcuts.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2022-08-29 15:20:46

dejan

Originally I was looking at Settings / Keyboard... - You were right. Even though I only got 2 workspaces (I actually use only one, so would be happy to disable workspaces completely, if possible) XFCE reserves all CTRL-Fxx shortcuts for workspaces 1 to 12. As you suggested, once I cleared CTRL-F6 for workspace #6 it worked. My application now reacts to CTRL-F6 as I needed. I also noticed ALT-Fxx shortcuts are reserved too for various XFCE actions. Considering that I have the "desktop" key on my FILCO Tenkeyless keboard (with nice Linux penguin on it instead of Windows logo) I will try to reconfigure CTRL-Fxx and ALT-Fxx key bindings to DESKTOP-Fxx and DESKTOP-ALT-Fxx, if possible.

Thanks for your help, greatly appreciated!

#4 2022-08-29 17:13:54

KBar

dejan wrote:

(I actually use only one, so would be happy to disable workspaces completely, if possible)

You can set the number of workspaces to exactly 1 and effectively disable this feature. Look for the Workspaces dialog.
xfwm4-workspace-settings.png

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

#5 2022-08-29 17:47:32

dejan

Yes, I am aware of that. I already mentioned I have 2 workspaces on my workstation even though I use only one... Problem here was not about workspaces but about the key-bindings. Thanks for your feedback anyway!

Board footer