Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-09-01 23:58:47

Skaperen

wmctrl not in Xubuntu 20.04

i quickly noticed the lack of wmctrl when switched to Xubuntu 20.04.  i'll guess that it's missing from 22.04, as well.  i copied the /usr/bin/wmctrl binary from my last full backup of my Xubuntu 18.04 system and ran that.  it still switches workspace.  i don't use other features of it so i don't know what other stuff could fail with it.

i use it with keyboard shortcuts for easy and quick jumping around a user's workspaces.  it's faster than switching userid which i also have shortcuts to do.

way back when i started with Xfce, i soon found that lightdm let me have many users logged in at a time as long as i limited to just one session per user, which is generally fine.  given that wmctrl has apparently been either depricated or hidden, i should look at the future of how to switch workspaces.  how is this normally done by others?  how do you switch to workspace 5, for example?  is there some graphical tool i don't know about?

Last edited by Skaperen (2022-09-01 23:59:39)

#2 2022-09-02 02:02:25

ToZ
Administrator

Re: wmctrl not in Xubuntu 20.04

Skaperen wrote:

i quickly noticed the lack of wmctrl when switched to Xubuntu 20.04.

Its in the repositories (see: https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suit … rds=wmctrl).

sudo apt install wmctrl

...should do it.

Edit: if you're using it to just switch workspaces, you can just use built-in xfwm4 keyboard shortcuts for that (Settings Manager > Window Manager > Keyboard)

Last edited by ToZ (2022-09-02 02:05:20)

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2022-09-02 19:07:49

Skaperen

Re: wmctrl not in Xubuntu 20.04

i want them to be specific keys (the keypad numbers not modified, instead of modified Fn keys).

also, i am spreading the settings to my many userids via the XML file copied among them, not doing an actual setting.

as for the installation of wmctrl, i can't remember what failed before, but the install worked this time.  and the binary files are identical.

Board footer