Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-09-18 06:04:27

mrwhiskers

Building xfce4-docklike-plugin does not generate executable

Xubuntu 18.04 lts

https://github.com/nsz32/docklike-plugin/issues/41

I followed this older guide to edit minimum package versions and manually expand a missing macro in a C++ file. It compiled and generated a bunch of .lo files but no executable file.

My edited minimum versions in configure.ac.in

m4_define([xfce_build_version], [4.14.0])
XDT_CHECK_LIBX11_REQUIRE()
XDT_CHECK_PACKAGE([GIO], [gio-2.0], [2.42.0])
XDT_CHECK_PACKAGE([GLIB], [glib-2.0], [2.42.0])
XDT_CHECK_PACKAGE([GTK], [gtk+-3.0], [3.22.0])
XDT_CHECK_PACKAGE([CAIRO], [cairo], [1.15.0])
XDT_CHECK_PACKAGE([WNCK], [libwnck-3.0], [3.24.0])
XDT_CHECK_PACKAGE([X11], [x11], [1.6])
XDT_CHECK_PACKAGE([LIBXFCE4UI], [libxfce4ui-2], [4.13.0])
XDT_CHECK_PACKAGE([LIBXFCE4UTIL], [libxfce4util-1.0], [4.12.0])
XDT_CHECK_PACKAGE([LIBXFCE4PANEL], [libxfce4panel-2.0], [4.12.0])

I initially tried with the gitlab version here https://gitlab.xfce.org/panel-plugins/x … ike-plugin
and then the same steps with the github one https://github.com/nsz32/docklike-plugin

Same result in both cases, no executable file generated. And when I try to add a new panel item from panel preferences, the docklike does not appear in the list there.

The only "interesting" files it seems to generate are an .so and a .desktop file which seems to be an XFCE panel plugin file ( https://wiki.xfce.org/dev/howto/panel_plugins ). It has a X-XFCE-Module field but no X-XFCE-Module-Path field.

What can be done?

Last edited by mrwhiskers (2022-09-18 07:15:35)

#2 2022-09-18 07:11:41

KBar

Re: Building xfce4-docklike-plugin does not generate executable

Three things:

1. Xubuntu 18.04 is EoL. You're highly encouraged to upgrade.

2. The official repository is available here.

3. For Xubuntu, there is a PPA available.

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

#3 2022-09-18 07:33:41

mrwhiskers

I checked out the internals of the deb inside the PPA package out of curiosity and it does exactly what I had done too. I had noticed the default build of the software copying files to /usr/local/lib/xfce4/... so I instead manually created the /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ inside my /usr/local and moved the xfce4 directory there. The file layout seemed to match then but still couldn't see anything in my panel preferences. Strange. I will just try out the ppa then.

Edit: I did a test by temporarily copying the so and the desktop file to the /usr/ locations instead of inside my /usr/local and now they suddenly appear in my panel preferences. Going to delete them and install the proper ppa version now.

Last edited by mrwhiskers (2022-09-18 07:44:28)

#4 2022-09-18 08:20:47

KBar

You did not configure the package properly. On multi-arch systems, you need to explicitly tell where the library directory is:

./configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib/$(uname -m)-linux-gnu

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

#5 2022-09-19 12:22:41

mrwhiskers

I used the --libdir override and tested it, and it puts the files out to the correct location automatically now yes. I can see the docklike option in add panel items list. I also tried the ppa version which too works. Thanks for the help.

Board footer