Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-09-18 21:28:16

rayandrews

panel 'workspace icon' is too big

The workspace switcher icon is about 4x bigger than it used to be, can I shrink it again?

Also, every open app or terminal now shows up on every panel when the Window Buttons item is used!  This gets crowded rather quickly, before I upgraded from Debian stretch to bullseye, the panel only showed me what was open in a given workspace on a given monitor.  I don't want my panels talking to each other, I treat each screen as tho it were a separate computer.  There's a 'Only on this Workspace' option which sounds like it should do what I want, but has no effect.

Can I import my panel settings from the old install?  I have a complete backup, I just need to know which files are needed.

Last edited by rayandrews (2022-09-18 21:59:12)

#2 2022-09-18 22:31:01

ToZ
Administrator

Re: panel 'workspace icon' is too big

rayandrews wrote:

The workspace switcher icon is about 4x bigger than it used to be, can I shrink it again?

The workspace switcher isn't actually an icon on your panel - its a graphical representation of your workspaces (or in miniature view, its the text of the workspace names. Can you post a screenshot of what you are referring to? If you right-click it and select "Properties", you'll have an option to increase the number of rows, which will in effect shorten the size.

Also, every open app or terminal now shows up on every panel when the Window Buttons item is used!  This gets crowded rather quickly, before I upgraded from Debian stretch to bullseye, the panel only showed me what was open in a given workspace on a given monitor.  I don't want my panels talking to each other, I treat each screen as tho it were a separate computer.  There's a 'Only on this Workspace' option which sounds like it should do what I want, but has no effect.

You should also have a "Show windows from all monitors" option - try unchecking that one as well.

Can I import my panel settings from the old install?  I have a complete backup, I just need to know which files are needed.

Good question. If you upgraded Xfce in place, the panel plugins should have kept their settings. Some plugins may no longer be available though.
You could try and see what happens. Make sure you save your current panel layout using xfce4-panel-profiles (in case you need to revert).

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2022-09-18 23:12:50

rayandrews

ToZ,

I've retreated back to my old setup, I'll try again with the Debian bullseye later and try again.  What seems most relevant is that the more recent xfce didn't work with my xorg.conf.

#4 2022-09-19 01:00:40

rayandrews

"You should also have a "Show windows from all monitors" option - try unchecking that one as well."

Where is that?

#5 2022-09-19 01:49:08

rayandrews

"xfce4-screenshooter
xfce4-screenshooter: error while loading shared libraries: libexo-1.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

libexo-2 is installed.  No dependency messages tho, so it looks like that needs a look at.

Grabbed the file manually.  Screenshooter OK but how do I include an image here?

Last edited by rayandrews (2022-09-19 02:07:24)

#6 2022-09-19 06:44:02

KBar

rayandrews wrote:

Can I import my panel settings from the old install?

Have a look at xfce4-panel-profiles (formerly known as xfpanel-switch).

OK but how do I include an image here?

Click on one of the links below your reply box for BBCode instructions.

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

#7 2022-09-19 10:44:26

ToZ
Administrator

rayandrews wrote:

"You should also have a "Show windows from all monitors" option - try unchecking that one as well."

Where is that?

Window Buttons preferences dialog. Right-click the panel > Panel > Panel Preferences > Items tab > Double-click the "Window Buttons" item.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#8 2022-09-19 17:08:21

rayandrews

Testing ...
[img=Testing ...]/aMisc/Screenshot - 2022-09-18 - 07:05:16 PM.png[/img]

no luck.

xfce4-panel-profiles

... no such command on my system.  No such Debian package. No xfpanel-switch either.

Edit: Only available in Debian testing for now. 

"Window Buttons preferences dialog. Right-click the panel > Panel > Panel Preferences > Items tab > Double-click the "Window Buttons" item."

Found it, but no change.  Strange, that seems exactly what should do it, but it doesn't work.

Edit: Ah! it does work, I just forgot to make the change on both panels.

Last edited by rayandrews (2022-09-19 18:13:41)

#9 2022-09-19 17:50:10

rayandrews

Now I see:  xfce is treating all three monitors as one workspace.  I can drag things from one monitor to the other. Now why would that be?  Must have something to do with xorg.conf which worked under stretch but not here under bullseye.  xorg.conf forced three separate monitors to be independent, but now I have one giant workspace consisting of all three.  Previously each panel was unique to it's monitor, now I might have two panels but they refer to the same workspaces.  Maybe I can get used to this but it is sure nice to be able to drive each monitor separately.  I can change workspace on one monitor while leaving the others untouched.

Last edited by rayandrews (2022-09-19 18:16:10)

#10 2022-09-19 20:08:38

ToZ
Administrator

rayandrews wrote:

t workspace consisting of all three.  Previously each panel was unique to it's monitor, now I might have two panels but they refer to the same workspaces.  Maybe I can get used to this but it is sure nice to be able to drive each monitor separately.  I can change workspace on one monitor while leaving the others untouched.

Are you referring to zaphod mode? Individual xscreens for each monitor? If so, have a read through this bug report.

#11 2022-09-20 15:07:39

rayandrews

Comment 16 Olivier Fourdan editbugs 2019-07-10 12:29:48 CEST

I think my answer in comment 7 was pretty clear and I do not understand your comment 14.

You're complaining to xfce for a decision made in gtk years ago, and downstream for a lack of support while all the software here is free.

So I'll repeat, xfce 4.14 is moving to gtk3 and support for multiple X11 screen (:0.0, :0.1) was removed years ago from gtk3. That's a fact, there is nothing xfce can do about it.

That's lengthy but it seems to hit the nail.  Oliver sez:

"I am now convinced that adding a hack to keep the functionality in xfwm4 was a mistake, the best way forward would be to remove that from xfwm4 as well and close the whole issue as "cantfix".

We simply cannot support Zaphod-head setup with gtk3 anymore."

This would maybe explain why xfce wouldn't work with my xorg.conf that, yes, did invoke 'zaphod' mode.  Ok, so it's a gtk issue to which xfce is slave. 

"Those definitions are now mostly legacy, very few people actually run separate screens on a single display because it prevents moving windows from one screen to the other. With two separate X11 screens (:0.0 and :0.1 for example), there are two root windows and two entire separate window trees on each."

I profoundly protest!  It could be that the 'one screen' setup I have now is something I can get used to, yes, it's nice to be able to drag a window across monitors, however it is a huge loss not to be able to change workspace on the 2nd monitor while leaving the 1st monitor unchanged.  For example, right now monitor #1 is devoted to typing this message in Firefox, on monitor #2 I have two terminals open to type various suggested commands like 'xrandr --listmonitors' (which, unhelpfully does not list my monitors, but rather my 'displays' that is the number of video cards. No ... because 'xrandr --display :0:0' gives info on an actual, hardware monitor -- the thing that's sorta like a flat panel TV.  Seems we don't know what to call these TV things.  I'd call it a monitor myself but that's just me.)

Sorry to rant, none of this is your fault.  So ... where we seem to be at is that I can't have my 'zaphod' back, is that correct?  And this is a gtk issue, yes?  So then I'm either stuck with the older Debian, OR, I can try to get used to having all three monitors switch to different applications when I switch workspaces.  Thing is that the panel gives no hint as to what's open on which monitor so it's going to take some getting used to.  Any hints? 

BTW, what was I doing wrong trying to include an image?  I'd like to be able to post a screenshot.

#12 2022-09-20 16:33:10

ToZ
Administrator

rayandrews wrote:

Thing is that the panel gives no hint as to what's open on which monitor so it's going to take some getting used to.  Any hints?

I don't generally use multiple screens so I don't think I can comment, but perhaps other members of the community will.

BTW, what was I doing wrong trying to include an image?  I'd like to be able to post a screenshot.

Host the image on a site like imgur then look at the examples here on how to use bbcode to display them. Or alternatively, just post the link to the image.

#13 2022-09-20 16:43:28

rayandrews

No images direct from my computer then?

#14 2022-09-20 17:11:10

rayandrews

Maybe I can get used to this 'one desktop' thing ... it's a different way of working to be sure, but already it's getting easier.  Basically forget about workspaces since I'm hardly ever going to want to change 'everything' in one go. Just bring up windows as needed.  So far the one thing I'm really wanting is that the workspace on the panel would show which monitor the various icons live on.  Or maybe I'll just get used to it as it is.

BTW ToZ, only one monitor?  Sheesh, once you have multiple monitors you'll wonder how you ever lived with one.

Last edited by rayandrews (2022-09-20 22:07:31)

#15 2022-09-20 19:36:06

ToZ
Administrator

rayandrews wrote:

BTW ToZ, only one monitor?  Sheesh, once you have multiple monitors you'll wonder how you ever lived with one.

I'm just a dude on a couch with a laptop. Too old (or lazy) for all this multi-monitor stuff. smile

#16 2022-09-20 22:08:53

rayandrews

Am an old dude too, but gotta have the real estate of three monitors.  So what about image uploads?

#17 2022-09-20 22:35:41

ToZ
Administrator

Upload the image to a site like imgur. Then post the link back here.

#18 2022-09-20 22:43:29

rayandrews

Never used that, I'll try.  Hey, so many forums ... I dunno where the software comes from but most forums now have so much better functionality when it comes so that kind of thing.

#19 2022-09-21 00:20:40

agashamu

ToZ wrote:
rayandrews wrote:

I'm just a dude on a couch with a laptop. Too old (or lazy) for all this multi-monitor stuff. smile

Brilliant, genius guys, like ToZ don't need multiple monitors. They can manage what they do just sitting on a couch, having a glass of wine, watching TV and using a laptop...just kidding...

Linux Mint Xfce 21.1

#20 2022-09-21 00:28:05

ToZ
Administrator

agashamu wrote:
ToZ wrote:
rayandrews wrote:

Brilliant, genius guys, like ToZ don't need multiple monitors. They can manage what they do just sitting on a couch, having a glass of wine, watching TV and using a laptop...just kidding...

No, no, thats pretty accurate. Couch, wine and TV.

#21 2022-09-21 00:44:48

agashamu

ToZ wrote:
agashamu wrote:
ToZ wrote:

No, no, thats pretty accurate. Couch, wine and TV.

Well, I'm glad to hear that! I was just guessing, but now we all know!!!

Linux Mint Xfce 21.1

#22 2022-09-24 04:06:59

Skaperen

agashamu wrote:
ToZ wrote:
rayandrews wrote:

i'm like that.  i now use a laptop when used to build my own racks and towers and was dreaming of putting 3 more monitors above my existing row of 3.  and these were big old CRTs (quite heavy).  i just don't turn on the TV except for a few times the news i want to see is on.  and i'm on a bed, not a couch.  i don't build my own hardware anymore.  i did have 3 and now i have 1.  but i can switch quickly between login/user/Xorg sessions using LightDM.  nearly as good as having 18 monitors (operator station at a previous employer beat that).  being retired has its advantages.

Last edited by Skaperen (2022-09-24 04:13:26)

Board footer