Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-11-10 00:56:42

WonXfce

Thunar freezes the Desktop, suspect its the compositor

System:  Old Intel Core i3, Nvidia GeForce, openSUSE 15.4 (XFCE 4.16)

Everytime I do anything Thunar related (copy, paste, open files) the Desktop (X11 screen) will sporadically freeze.  The mouse still moves around and any sound playing will continue to play.  The keyboard however does not respond only a hard reset will get it to work again.

I've googled "Thunar freezes" and tried most of the suggestions of clearing the Thunar configuration and its cache and it still has not solve the Desktop freezing.  I suspect the freezing is caused by the compositor.  Since its an older PC the Nvidia Drivers and picom slows down the system.  Only compton or XFCE Full Compositing corrects the screen tearing caused by the nouveau drivers.

One last thing, previously I was using openSUSE 15.3 and Thunar never freeze everything worked as expected.  I even tried going back to Thunar 4.16.3 (from openSUSE 15.3) in openSUSE 15.4 and it still freezes.  Right now I've changed the default file manager from Thunar to PCmanFM and everything works.

Would like to use Thunar again, is there anything that can be done?

Here's a snippet of xfconf-query and .xsession-errors:

xfconf-query -c xfwm4 -p /general/vblank_mode --verbose
glx

cat .xsession-errors |grep -i thunar
(Thunar:1913): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 13:49:12.842: invalid unclassed pointer in cast to 'GObject'
(Thunar:1913): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 13:49:12.842: g_object_set_qdata: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
(Thunar:1913): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 15:58:01.327: invalid unclassed pointer in cast to 'GObject'
(Thunar:1913): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 15:58:01.327: g_object_set_qdata: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

#2 2022-11-10 12:55:28

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Thunar freezes the Desktop, suspect its the compositor

Hello and welcome.

That is a strange error message you are getting. A few questions:

1. What is the version of thunar that was initially installed ("thunar -V" will help)?

2. How did you go back to Thunar 4.16.3?

3. Are those error messages from the original version of thunar or 4.16.3?

4. What does the following return?

type -a thunar

Edit: one more thing to try: create a second test account on your computer, log in there and see if you experience the same hangs.

Last edited by ToZ (2022-11-10 12:56:38)

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2022-11-10 23:49:28

WonXfce

What is the version of thunar that was initially installed ("thunar -V" will help)?

# cat /etc/os-release
NAME="openSUSE Leap"
VERSION="15.4"
ID="opensuse-leap"
ID_LIKE="suse opensuse"
VERSION_ID="15.4"
PRETTY_NAME="openSUSE Leap 15.4"
ANSI_COLOR="0;32"
CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:opensuse:leap:15.4"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.opensuse.org"
HOME_URL="https://www.opensuse.org/"
DOCUMENTATION_URL="https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Leap"
LOGO="distributor-logo-Leap"

# thunar -V
thunar 4.16.11 (Xfce 4.16)

Copyright (c) 2004-2020
    The Thunar development team. All rights reserved.

Written by Benedikt Meurer <benny@xfce.org>.

Please report bugs to <https://gitlab.xfce.org/xfce/thunar>.

---

How did you go back to Thunar 4.16.3?

Using the Thunar 4.16.3 SRPM from openSUSE 15.3 and building it against openSUSE 15.4 Distribution via OBS.

---

Are those error messages from the original version of thunar or 4.16.3?

These error messages are from openSUSE 15.4 which comes with Thunar 4.16.11.

cat .xsession-errors |grep -i thunar
(Thunar:1913): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 13:49:12.842: invalid unclassed pointer in cast to 'GObject'
(Thunar:1913): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 13:49:12.842: g_object_set_qdata: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
(Thunar:1913): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 15:58:01.327: invalid unclassed pointer in cast to 'GObject'
(Thunar:1913): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 15:58:01.327: g_object_set_qdata: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

---

What does the following return?

type -a thunar

thunar is /usr/bin/thunar

---

Regarding creating a second account to test, since the freezing happens infrequently its difficult to make it freeze when I want it to, I'll update when I get a chance.

#4 2022-11-13 00:39:43

WonXfce

I tested using a Test Account and Thunar does freeze the Desktop.  I did notice that the freeze would happen a few minutes after accessing a mounted share. 

Using my regular account I do have mounted shares as links within Thunar (the left sidebar).  The mounted shares are a combination of USB drives, SATA drives, and SSHFS.  I believe a majority of the time the Desktop would freeze either during or after I did something on a mounted drive through Thunar.  Also, Volume Management has been disabled and all items under Removable Storage (inside Removable Drives and Media) has been unchecked since openSUSE 15.3.

#5 2022-11-13 01:09:14

ToZ
Administrator

If you disable the compositor, do the freezes persist?

Have you tried the other vblank modes (off and xpresent)?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#6 2022-11-15 12:32:01

WonXfce

Here are the results:

vblank = xpresent   compositor = on     result = freezes
vblank = glx            compositor = on     result = freezes
vblank = off             compositor = on     result = freezes

vblank = off             compositor = off     no freeze everything works.

I need the compositor to correct the screen tearing.  The freeze only occurs when doing something Thunar related no other application can cause the freezing.

#7 2022-11-15 12:49:41

ToZ
Administrator

I think the best thing to do now is create a bug report. I'm not sure whether with xfwm4 or thunar (since thunar is the only application that seems to be affected). Start with thunar and see where it goes. To create a bug report, go to this link and click on the "New Issue" button. Note that you will need a gitlab account to create new issues.

#8 2022-11-15 18:47:46

herbie643

Maybe this might work:
Install  xcompmgr from synaptic or cli and maybe just maybe problem might be solved or not.
Worth a try?

Board footer