Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-12-11 16:08:17

stephenbbb

how to integrate app in XFCE

I have downloaded a tar.gz of the last masterpdf editor that was free without the nagware stamp.
it has a desktop file which implies the folder should be in /opt and i moved it there.
what do i need to  tell Xfce mint about the app? where should I place the desktop file pasted below?
do I need the %f at the end of the Exec line?

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Master PDF Editor 4
Comment=Edit PDF files
Exec=/opt/master-pdf-editor-4/masterpdfeditor4 %f
Path=/opt/master-pdf-editor-4
Terminal=false
Icon=/opt/master-pdf-editor-4/masterpdfeditor4.png
Type=Application
Categories=Office;Graphics;
MimeType=application/pdf;application/x-bzpdf;application/x-gzpdf;

#2 2022-12-11 17:33:44

ToZ
Administrator

Re: how to integrate app in XFCE

Move the desktop file to ~/.local/share/applications (create the directory if it doesn't exit) if its meant just for you, or to make it accessible system wide, place it in /usr/share/applications.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2022-12-11 18:02:00

stephenbbb

that worked and it now shows in all menus. I had followed the instruction in the xfce manual and put it on the desktop, which creted an icon, but every time I d-clicked it told me that was untrusted and whether Lanch or cancel. looks like the xfce manual is outdated.

#4 2022-12-11 20:37:36

ToZ
Administrator

stephenbbb wrote:

that worked and it now shows in all menus. I had followed the instruction in the xfce manual and put it on the desktop, which creted an icon, but every time I d-clicked it told me that was untrusted and whether Lanch or cancel. looks like the xfce manual is outdated.

No, thats still vaild. It refers to creating an icon on the desktop. You need to trust it to automatically launch. The method I spoke to is to add it to a menu. More info here.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2023-01-14 07:20:39

k3dAR

for custom .desktop file on Desktop: marking as executable and trusted you can with right click above icon, select Properties, switch to last tab "Launcher" and enable:
- Allow this file to run as a .desktop file
- Set this file as trusted

Board footer