Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-12-19 13:41:49

Friedrich

Backup and Restore the Xfce4-Panel

Hi,

is there a file where the panel-settings are saved in? I'm moving from xubuntu 20.04 to 22.04 and want to backup and restore the panel. I copied the file

~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-panel.xml

this restores some parts of the redmond panel:
- replace the normal application launcher -> whisker menu
- restores the launcher at the right side of the whisker menu
- restores all plugins at the right side of the panel (clock, pulse audio plugin)

But the settings of the whisker menu are not restored and the launchers don't work. all of them have the same icon and i can't start an application. I guess restoring the launcher should work by copy the folder /home/ich/.config/xfce4/panel/ - but it doesn't. I tried logout/login and reboot the system. When i create a new launcher a new folder is created here.

#2 2022-12-20 01:35:50

agashamu

Re: Backup and Restore the Xfce4-Panel

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c … l.html#ID6

Written for Linux Mint, but you can figure it out in Xubuntu.

Linux Mint Xfce 21.1

#3 2022-12-20 06:16:35

KBar

That one is discontinued. Its replacement—xfce4-panel-profiles—is available in the repositories.

This question has been asked so many times. Our forum has a Search button. Comes in very handy.

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

#4 2022-12-20 19:27:00

agashamu

KBar wrote:

That one is discontinued. Its replacement—xfce4-panel-profiles—is available in the repositories.

Is it??
In my Mint, the terminal still brings it up!

Linux Mint Xfce 21.1

#5 2022-12-22 06:21:48

Friedrich

when i restore the backup and choose the restored profile in xfce4-panel-profile i have my old panel. but after a reboot status tray isn't working. i have 4 autostart applications with there icons in the status tray plugin. after a reboot there is nothing. all other panel plugins and application launchers are working. the settings of the status tray plugin show me a long list of elements but there is nothing in the panel.

xfce4-panel-profile is part of the ubuntu 22.04 repo but not available on all distributions. i could not find it in the repo for debian 11. here the only way is to make the settings manually and i could not find good information about that.

#6 2023-01-14 06:59:38

k3dAR

for manual backup try:
~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-panel.xml
~/.config/xfce4/panel

For GUI xfce4-panel-profiles in Debian (stable) repository you must wait ;-)

But you can install this package manualy in Debian 11... download deb from here (is from testing repo) and install it with depends using:

cd /path/where/downloaded
sudo apt install ./xfce4-panel-profiles*.deb

I not use this method in real life (where i use Xubuntu), but tested now in virtual with Debian11 and GUI backup&restore work...

Board footer