Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-28 10:53:33

yhu420

[Feature request] Builtin emoji picker

Hi,

There's one thing I like a lot on my Windows machine, when I press Super + ; , this opens a small minimalist panel to input emojis. I couldn't find any equivalent on linux desktops. I know I can install some ibus extensions and stuff, but this never worked well for me. I would love if this could me an option that could be enabled/disabled out of the box.

That's such a bummer since right now, both Mac & Windows have quick & useful ways of typing emojis, but Linux is still lagging behind.

What do you guys think? Would this be a great addition to the Xfce desktop?

#2 2020-04-28 11:26:31

alcornoqui

Re: [Feature request] Builtin emoji picker

I don't use emojis much, but sure, it'd be nice.

For reference (a lot of info here, mostly Ubuntu/GNOME related): How to insert an emoji into a text in Ubuntu 18.04 and later?

#3 2020-04-28 11:35:49

yhu420

I know this works out-of the box for GTK apps, because it's a GTK feature. But it wont for anything else, including the most important, web browsers. Good point though.

#4 2022-10-28 21:55:32

BenyaminL
Website

For now, you can map you application finder to some shortcut key, and spawn they emoji picker there, and just copy the emoji to any application you need. I accidentally tried this and works, as you right click on xfce4-notes, you can insert emoji there, as it's a GTK apps.

Quite a workaround for now.

#5 2022-12-23 00:49:33

dchmelik
Website

I don't see XFCE-notes, and what's the keystroke on standard/classic 101-key keyboards (no Windows keys)?  The keystroke above sounds vague because isn't clear whether it's two or three keys.  The standard notation (since times of old MS-DOS help) to write keys is write them inside angled brackets like <CTRL><ALT><DEL> (restart) or <ALT>fo (alt file open) and not put plus in between because that becomes unclear/confusing.

#6 2022-12-23 09:41:01

PaperNick

Not a direct solution, but there's built-in support for emoji in ibus. IBus is essentially a different input method system. I think it's used in Gnome by default:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/IBus

If you're on a Ubuntu-based distro, you can install ibus through apt:

sudo apt install ibus

To switch to ibus, head over to Settings Manager → Language Support → Keyboard input and select "IBus" from the dropdown. You can configure keyboard shortcuts and layout through ibus-setup command. It's also in the start menu under the name "IBus Preferences".

Now that you've setup ibus, here's how you can enter emoji in every text field:
1. Focus on the text field
2. Press <Ctrl><dot> or <Ctrl><semicolon>
3. You will see an underlined letter "e"
4. In this state, type "smile" or ":)" and press <Space>
5. To apply the selected emoji, press Enter

To trigger a category menu with emoji:
1. Press <Ctrl><dot> or <Ctrl><semicolon>
2. Press <Space>

To trigger search based on the typed text:
1. Press <Ctrl><dot> or <Ctrl><semicolon>
2. Type "beer"
3. Press <Space> twice
4. To apply the selected emoji, press Enter

Last edited by PaperNick (2022-12-23 09:47:11)

Board footer